In This Section
Health and Immunization Requirements for Entering Students
University of the Sciences requires all entering students to provide a complete medical history and health evaluation (i.e. Physical Exam) and to fulfill the following immunization requirements:
- Tuberculosis (TB) Screening: A QuantiFERON-TB Gold (QFT) or T-SPOT test is the recommended method for TB infection screening. A chest x-ray is required if the QFT or T-SPOT is positive. Please note: the Tuberculin Skin Test (PPD) two-step test is no longer recommended at Student Health. If your health insurance does not cover the QFT or T-SPOT and requires you to have a PPD, please call SHAC at 215-596-8980 to speak with one of our medical assistants who will guide you in that process.
- Hepatitis B: Three doses of vaccine AND Positive Hepatitis B Surface Antibody Titer (IGg) is required once series is completed proving immunity.
- Polio: Primary series required, doses at least 28 days apart. Three primary series are acceptable.
- Tetanus-Diptheria-Pertussis: Primary series (four doses) of DTap, DTP, DT or Td AND Tdap booster within the last 10 years.
- Varicella: Two doses of vaccine OR positive antibody titer (IGg) proving immunity. History of Varicella disease (Chickenpox) alone is not acceptable.
- Measles Mumps Rubella: Two doses of MMR vaccine or individual vaccines AND a positive antibody titer (IGg) proving immunity.
- Meningococcal: ALL Students residing in University housing are REQUIRED to obtain the Meningococcal Vaccine after their 16th birthday regardless of prior vaccination history. Students living off-campus are highly encouraged to receive the meningococcal vaccine as well. [Information about the Meningococcal vaccine]
The pre-matriculation immunization requirement is based on the recommendations of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Department of Health Division of Immunizations and the American College Health Association. You can satisfy this requirement by completing the Student Health Record, which includes the immunization requirements. Students who do not submit a fully completed health form by the deadline will be charged a late fee of $25.00 and registration will be withheld until all health requirements are met (completed health record and proof of all required vaccinations).
1st Floor, Suite 1200
University of the Sciences
600 South 43rd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104-4495
*Clinical hours may differ from office hours.
M-F 9:00am - 5:00pm
M-F 9:00am - 5:00pm