Information for Current International Students 

Explore these topics to learn more:

Important Information for F-1 Students

Maintaining Legal F-1 Student Status

F-1 students are responsible for maintaining their status and must comply with Department of Homeland Security (DHS) regulations. The ISS office works to ensure that students are familiar with these regulations and can advise students on any issues related to their visa status.

For a summary of the regulations governing F-1 students in the USA, please see Responsibilities of International Students available on the USciences portal.

Updates to Address, Contact Details, Legal Name, or Major

Federal regulations require F-1 students to report any change of US address, contact details, legal name, or major to the DSO within 10 days of the change. Students should also inform the Registrar’s Office of any changes to address or contact details.


F-1 students must consult the ISS office about any employment or internship opportunities first. All off-campus jobs, internships or training programs (paid or unpaid) require authorization in SEVIS, and must be related to a student’s course of study. Working without authorization is considered one of the most serious violations of F-1 status. Students caught working without authorization should expect to have their I-20s terminated, which can cause major problems for future travel and study plans in the USA.

For more information on the types of work authorization available to F-1 students, please see the F-1 Students Employment Guide, available on the USciences portal, or make an appointment with the ISS office.

Getting a Security Number (SSN)

Students who find authorized employment must apply for a Social Security Number (SSN) in order to earn money. To apply, students must go to the local Social Security Office in person with the necessary documentation:

  • Letter of employment (for on-campus jobs complete the On-Campus Employment SSN form.)
  • I-20, passport and I-94 copy
  • Application for a Social Security Card (form SS-5)

Traveling Outside the USA

Students in F-1 status should inform the ISS office of international travel plans. For Customs and Border Protection (CBP) to allow you to reenter the USA, your I-20 must have a signature from a USciences DSO on the second page that is no older than one year.

Before travelling also check if you will need to renew your visa or passport before returning. You may not be allowed to enter the USA if your passport will be valid for less than six months into the future.


All students in F-1 status must submit forms to the US government for tax purposes annually, regardless of whether they have earned any money in the USA. The ISS office will contact students with specific information and recommendations for submitting tax documents.  More information regarding filing for taxes.

Student Verification Letters

The ISS office can provide international students with a variety of verification letters to confirm enrollment at USciences. These letters can be used for many different purposes:

  • Invitation letters for visiting relatives entering the United States
  • Enrollment verification letters stating the current academic status of the student
  • Letters for students applying for Social Security Cards or driver licenses

Campus Facilities and Services

International students should make the most of the facilities and services available to them on campus:

If you are having trouble locating any facilities or services on campus, contact the ISS office for assistance.


Bill Keyes, International Student Specialist


University of the Sciences
600 South 43rd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104-4495