In This Section
- News by Topic
- Media Resources
- University Events
- 5K Race for Humanity
- Advances in Pharmacy Practice
- Alumni Reunion Weekend
- Delivering Medication Therapy Management Services Certificate Program
- Discover Series
- Family Fall Fest
- Founders’ Day
- Graduate Student Orientation
- Healthy Lifestyles Social Media Business Competition
- Lois K. Cohen Lecture Series
- Making the Connections
- The Bernard J. Malis Memorial Lectureship in Humanities
- Misher Festival of Fine Arts and Humanities
- MLK Day of Service
- Move-in and Welcome Events
- Patricia Leahy Memorial Lecture
- Pharmacy-Based Immunization Delivery Training
- Philadelphia Grain Malt Symposium
- Philadelphia Science Festival
- REEP Annual Symposium and Networking Event
- Research Day and John C. Krantz Jr. Lecture
- Undergraduate Research Festival
- Vestibular Rehabilitation Continuing Education Series
- USciences in the News
- The Bulletin Alumni Magazine
At Convocation, USciences Will Welcome More Than 300 New Students
More than 300 new students will officially begin their journey at USciences this month at our 12th Annual Convocation Ceremony for first year students.
The ceremony, which follows move-in on August 24, 2018, kicks off Welcome Week events on campus and this year will feature keynote speaker Dontae Privette. Privette, a West Philadelphia native, is president of the Kingsessing Roadrunners, a nonprofit that improves the health of children in West Philadelphia through sports and life skill development.
Under Privette’s leadership, the Roadrunners have developed a strong reputation as a trusted partner of the Kingsessing Recreation Center and a collaborative leader for youth in Philadelphia. The program offers students a consistent connection to after school academic resources, accessible sports clubs and experiential learning. Privette remarks that his favorite part about youth sports is their ability to give each child on the team an opportunity to be a leader.
During the ceremony students are given special pins by faculty members signifying their new role as members of the USciences community.
The ceremony follows new student move-in day when first-year students living on campus move into their residence hall. Starting at 8:30 a.m. cars and minivans packed to the brim with living essentials are unloaded with the help of our “Arrival Survival” team of upperclassmen students.
Students not living on campus can begin to check in at 10 a.m. All new students and their families should gather at 1:30 p.m. in the Athletic/Recreation center for the convocation ceremony. When the ceremony is concluded, it is time for final goodbyes.
Students then begin a jammed-pack weekend of activities before classes begin on Monday, August 28. Parents are invited to attend a Student Affairs Parent Connection program.
Categories: News, Students, Event, USciences