In This Section
- News by Topic
- Media Resources
- University Events
- 5K Race for Humanity
- Advances in Pharmacy Practice
- Alumni Reunion Weekend
- Delivering Medication Therapy Management Services Certificate Program
- Discover Series
- Family Fall Fest
- Founders’ Day
- Graduate Student Orientation
- Healthy Lifestyles Social Media Business Competition
- Lois K. Cohen Lecture Series
- Making the Connections
- The Bernard J. Malis Memorial Lectureship in Humanities
- Misher Festival of Fine Arts and Humanities
- MLK Day of Service
- Move-in and Welcome Events
- Patricia Leahy Memorial Lecture
- Pharmacy-Based Immunization Delivery Training
- Philadelphia Grain Malt Symposium
- Philadelphia Science Festival
- REEP Annual Symposium and Networking Event
- Research Day and John C. Krantz Jr. Lecture
- Undergraduate Research Festival
- Vestibular Rehabilitation Continuing Education Series
- USciences in the News
- The Bulletin Alumni Magazine
- The Insider Newsletter Signup
Alumni Share First Job Advice With Students
The Young Professionals Organization (YPO) hosted two virtual Pharmacy Career panels This summer focused on networking and leveraging the most from residencies. The panels are part of an ongoing series where USciences alumni help new graduates and students prepare for the start of their careers.
The series started as the suggestion of Enid Curevac PharmD’20, who also served as the moderator. “My classmates and I are entering an uncertain world because of COVID-19,” explains Curevac. “So to have the reassurance and knowledge from recent graduates that we’ll get through this is priceless.”
On July 8, YPO hosted the Pharmaceutical Industry Panel featuring Sean Ahern PharmD'19, Clinical Research Scientist at Bristol Myer Squibb; Thomas Keyack PharmD'14, Product Manager, Hemophilia A Marketing at CSL Behring; Tim Little PhSci'18, Quality Control Scientist at Amneal Pharmaceuticals; Andrew Lyle PhB'15, Portfolio Operations Manager, Immuno-oncology at AstraZeneca; and Kirstie Marasigan PharmD'18, Associate Director, Medical Affairs at Merck. The conversation of the panel provided advice on networking and how to identify mentors and others to help make the most out of their careers.
The second panel on August 20 was a conversation about hospital residency and featured Fidelia Bernice PharmD'16, Clinical Pharmacy Specialist, HIV/Infectious Disease, Johns Hopkins Hospital; Ryan Courtney PharmD'14, Clinical Pharmacy Supervisor at Helen F. Graham Cancer Center, ChristianaCare; Micheal Dejos PharmD'13, System Medication Safety Officer at Methodist Le Bonheur Healthcare and Assistant Professor, University of Tennessee Health Science Center; Kayla Garzio PharmD'18, PGY2 Oncology Pharmacy Resident, Johns Hopkins Hospital; and Gianna Iantosca PharmD'20, PGY1 Pharmacy Resident, Jersey Shore University Medical Center.
A common theme in the advice was networking. In addition to using online tools like LinkedIn, panelists suggested USciences Nexus, an exclusive networking platform for the USciences community. Curevac encouraged alumni and students alike to take advantage of the connection in Nexus.
In addition to the Pharmacy panels, YPO has hosted a Misher Graduates Career Panel which highlighted the importance of the well rounded education provided by USciences. Future panels including ones focusing on Occupational Therapy and Physical Therapy are being planned for early next year.
Categories: News, Alumni, Philadelphia College of Pharmacy, Students