In This Section
- News by Topic
- Media Resources
- University Events
- 5K Race for Humanity
- Advances in Pharmacy Practice
- Alumni Reunion Weekend
- Delivering Medication Therapy Management Services Certificate Program
- Discover Series
- Family Fall Fest
- Founders’ Day
- Graduate Student Orientation
- Healthy Lifestyles Social Media Business Competition
- Lois K. Cohen Lecture Series
- Making the Connections
- The Bernard J. Malis Memorial Lectureship in Humanities
- Misher Festival of Fine Arts and Humanities
- MLK Day of Service
- Patricia Leahy Memorial Lecture
- Pharmacy-Based Immunization Delivery Training
- Philadelphia Grain Malt Symposium
- Philadelphia Science Festival
- REEP Annual Symposium and Networking Event
- Research Day and John C. Krantz Jr. Lecture
- Undergraduate Research Festival
- Vestibular Rehabilitation Continuing Education Series
- Welcome Week
- USciences in the News
- The Bulletin Alumni Magazine
- The Insider Newsletter Signup
Bernadette “Bunny” Kelly honored with Staff Award of Merit at Founders’ Day
Bernadette “Bunny” Kelly, student academic specialist in Philadelphia College of Pharmacy at University of the Sciences, was awarded the third annual Founders’ Day Staff Award of Merit on Feb. 14, 2019. The award is presented to an outstanding staff
member who “exemplifies the innovative and entrepreneurial spirit of USciences’ founders,
and who has engaged in research, or some form of scholarly pursuit, that results in
the development or discovery of something new.”
Bunny has been a familiar face to students at the University for 22 years and has made a lasting impression on many. Bunny has had such an impact that she was recently invited to travel to Kenya on a medical mission trip with Amina Abubakar PharmD’05.
“Ms. Kelly helped me and always believed in me,” said Dr. Abubakar, a native of Kenya. “I would always tell her that she should come to Kenya with me, so when this opportunity came up, I was glad she was able to come.”
Dr. Abubakar and Bunny traveled with Safari Doctors, a nonprofit with which Dr. Abubakar is on the board, which provides medical care to those out of reach of medical services in an area of Kenya under siege by terrorist groups.
For Bunny, the experience was life changing.
“Needless to say, I was fascinated and humbled. [Safari Doctors is] an awesome group of people,” she said. “The people of Kiangwe appreciated us so much. The only way for them to show their appreciation was to dance for us, and we ended up having ourselves a full blown dance party.”
Since she has returned, Kelly has continued the mission, raising money so that Safari Doctors can help the people of Kiangwe by providing them a well and clean water to drink.
Kelly is a native of Southwest Philly. She currently resides in Northeast Philly with her family.
Each year, Founders’ Day at USciences recognizes its establishment on Feb. 23, 1821, as Philadelphia College of Pharmacy—the first college of pharmacy in North America, which is now a part of USciences. In 2019, the University bestowed an honorary doctor of science degree to Sandra Mesics, director of St. Luke’s School of Nursing; presented merit awards to current undergraduate and graduate students, and staff and faculty members; and recognized endowed positions.
Categories: News, Staff, Philadelphia College of Pharmacy, Awards and Honors, Event, Alumni