In This Section
- News by Topic
- Media Resources
- University Events
- 5K Race for Humanity
- Advances in Pharmacy Practice
- Alumni Reunion Weekend
- Continuing Pharmacy Education
- Delivering Medication Therapy Management Services Certificate Program
- Discover Series
- Family Fall Fest
- Founders’ Day
- Graduate Student Orientation
- Healthy Lifestyles Social Media Business Competition
- Lois K. Cohen Lecture Series
- Making the Connections
- The Bernard J. Malis Memorial Lectureship in Humanities
- Misher Festival of Fine Arts and Humanities
- MLK Day of Service
- Patricia Leahy Memorial Lecture
- Pharmacy-Based Immunization Delivery Training
- Philadelphia Grain Malt Symposium
- Philadelphia Science Festival
- REEP Annual Symposium and Networking Event
- Research Day
- Undergraduate Research Symposium
- Welcome Week
- Alpha Chi Induction Dinner
- USciences in the News
- The Bulletin Alumni Magazine
- The Insider Newsletter Signup
Society of Physics Students Chapter Earns Outstanding Chapter Honor
Written by Brian Kirschner
Published on January 19, 2017
Students from the USciences chapter for the Society of Physics Students at the Philadelphia Science Festival.
The USciences chapter for the Society of Physics Students has received a 2015-16 Outstanding SPS Chapter Award. This is the highest level of distinction given to top chapters and is received by less than 10 percent of all chapters each year, with just 61 of 781 chapters from across the country and around the globe earning the honor this year.
The SPS Outstanding Chapter Award selection process (which identifies schools as Outstanding, Distinguished, or Notable) is conducted by the SPS National Council. Each report is reviewed by four council members. Rankings are based on a rubric measuring the level of SPS activities conducted by each chapter in such areas as research, outreach, tutoring, involvement in physics meetings, providing social interaction for chapter members, and participation in SPS regional and national programs.
Under the direction of faculty advisor Roberto Ramos, PhD, associate professor of physics, the USciences chapter has been active in promoting not only the physics at USciences but acting as ambassadors for entire field of physics. Since then, SPS has won three national awards from the American Institute of Physics.
Activities by USciences students included:
- On April 21, 2016, students in the Society of Physics Students received a grant to make physics a fun and interesting experience for minority high school students in an engineering class at West Catholic High School. Their visit included a host of experiments and hands-on experiences.
- The USciences students hosted a “Is there Science in Magic” booth at the Philadelphia Science Festival, a nine-day, community-wide celebration of science, on April 30, 216. Check out the event photos.
Students in the physics major at USciences choose from five physics tracks — biophysics, medical physics, pre-med, astrophysics, and materials science — with opportunities for collaboration among students and faculty in engineering, chemistry, biology, medicine, and more.
USciences is a sponsor for the 10th Annual United States Invitational Young Physics Tournament to be held on campus from January 27-29, 2017, bringing high school students from across the country and around the world for head-to-head competition.
Categories: News, Students, Awards and Honors, USciences, Misher College, Department of Mathematics, Physics