In This Section
- News by Topic
- Media Resources
- University Events
- 5K Race for Humanity
- Advances in Pharmacy Practice
- Alumni Reunion Weekend
- Continuing Pharmacy Education
- Delivering Medication Therapy Management Services Certificate Program
- Discover Series
- Family Fall Fest
- Founders’ Day
- Graduate Student Orientation
- Healthy Lifestyles Social Media Business Competition
- Lois K. Cohen Lecture Series
- Making the Connections
- The Bernard J. Malis Memorial Lectureship in Humanities
- Misher Festival of Fine Arts and Humanities
- MLK Day of Service
- Patricia Leahy Memorial Lecture
- Pharmacy-Based Immunization Delivery Training
- Philadelphia Science Festival
- REEP Annual Symposium and Networking Event
- Research Day
- Undergraduate Research Symposium
- Welcome Week
- USciences in the News
- The Bulletin Alumni Magazine
- The Insider Newsletter Signup
USciences Launches BS in Neuroscience Degree
Written by Brian Kirschner
Published on February 24, 2017
University of the Sciences students have a new degree option beginning in 2017-18. The bachelor of science in neuroscience will allow students to study the nervous system across a variety of contexts, taking courses with emphasis on the biological, behavioral, theoretical, and clinical aspects of neuroscience.
“Neuroscience has become a highly sought-after field of study for undergraduate students, particularly those who are seeking careers in the health professions, and USciences has the disciplines and faculty expertise to offer a high-level educational experience,” said Provost Peter Miller, PhD. “Many neuroscience programs include experiences in biology and/or psychology, but our program will also include important exposure to theoretical, computational, and pharmacological neuroscience.”
USciences faculty expertise in behavioral and biological sciences; math, physics, and statistics; pharmaceutical sciences; and professional clinical programs make this a truly unique program and highlight the interdisciplinary nature of the neuroscience degree.
- Interdisciplinary experience comes from elective choices offered in three tracks:
– Molecular and Medicinal Neuroscience
– Clinical Health Neuroscience
– Theoretical Neuroscience
- Ability to either specialize in one area of study or spread elective choices between the three tracks allows students to tailor this major to their interests.
- Mentorship by faculty is aligned to area of interest.
- Curriculum includes opportunities for hands-on research as early as the first year.
- Program prepares students well for graduate, medical, or health professional schools:
– Future career paths include physician, healthcare provider, doctoral degree, biomedical engineer, and researcher in areas such as theoretical modeling of the nervous system, neurobiology, or neuropsychology.
- Connections with nearby research and medical institutions bolster the experience.
“The BS in Neuroscience degree is the product of a truly interdisciplinary effort from the Departments of Biological Sciences; Behavioral and Social Sciences; Math, Physics and Statistics; and Pharmaceutical Sciences. There are 10 core faculty members from those departments who have contributed to the development of the curriculum,” Dr. Miller noted. “In addition, faculty from our professional programs in Philadelphia College of Pharmacy and Samson College of Health Sciences will also contribute to the program’s clinical neuroscience curriculum. The theoretical and clinical focus across multiple disciplines will provide students with a depth and breadth of knowledge and skills that few colleges can match, and of course, this program will provide undergraduate research opportunities that forges students who are ”proven everywhere.”
Assistant Professor of Biology Grace Farber, PhD, and Associate Professor of Psychology Stephen Moelter, PhD will serve as the co-directors for the program which will be administered out of the University’s Misher College of Arts and Sciences.
For more information, email email@example.com.
Categories: Announcement, News, Academics, Misher College, Department of Behavioral Sciences, Department of Biology, Neuroscience, Department of Chemistry, Department of Mathematics, Pre-Med, Philadelphia College of Pharmacy, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Samson College, Misher College Homepage