In This Section
- News by Topic
- Media Resources
- University Events
- 5K Race for Humanity
- Advances in Pharmacy Practice
- Alumni Reunion Weekend
- Delivering Medication Therapy Management Services Certificate Program
- Discover Series
- Family Fall Fest
- Founders’ Day
- Graduate Student Orientation
- Healthy Lifestyles Social Media Business Competition
- Lois K. Cohen Lecture Series
- Making the Connections
- The Bernard J. Malis Memorial Lectureship in Humanities
- Misher Festival of Fine Arts and Humanities
- MLK Day of Service
- Move-in and Welcome Events
- Patricia Leahy Memorial Lecture
- Pharmacy-Based Immunization Delivery Training
- Philadelphia Grain Malt Symposium
- Philadelphia Science Festival
- REEP Annual Symposium and Networking Event
- Research Day and John C. Krantz Jr. Lecture
- Undergraduate Research Festival
- Vestibular Rehabilitation Continuing Education Series
- USciences in the News
- The Bulletin Alumni Magazine
- The Insider Newsletter Signup
Pink Boots Society, USciences Tackle Sexism in Brewing at 1st Annual Women in Brewing Symposium
On Sunday, August 20, 2017 the Philadelphia chapter of the Pink Boots Society, in conjunction with University of the Sciences Brewing Science Certificate Program, will host the 1st Annual Women in Brewing Symposium from 11 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. on campus.
The Pink Boots Society was created to assist, inspire, and encourage women beer industry professionals to advance their careers through education. All proceeds from this spirited event will benefit the advancement of women in the brewing industry. The majority of funds raised will benefit a women-in-brewing scholarship at USciences, with a small portion going to the Pink Boots Society, Philadelphia chapter.
Topics of discussion include key issues for women in the industry. The symposium will open with a keynote address from Boston Beer Company’s Megan Parisi, immediately followed by a panel discussion from top women in the beer industry, moderated by beer journalist Tara Nurin.
Advanced purchased tickets are $15. Tickets are available at the door for $20. The event is open to both men and women who support the cause. Attendees may register online.
“The Pink Boots is about empowering and educating women and bringing to light some of the difficulties that women face in the industry face, as opposed to our male counterparts,” says Erin Wallace, President and Founder of Philadelphia chapter of the Pink Books Society. “Some people don’t think we could do the physical job that men do, carrying sacks of grain for example. We also want to bring to light some of the sexism in beer advertising and how women have been sexualized."
11:00am-12:00pm Check-in with a coffee porter and a donut (limited supply)
12:00am-12:30pm Keynote presentation by Megan Parisi (Boston Beer Co)
12:30-1:30pm Women Leadership in Brewing Panel
2:30-4:30pm Meet and Greet at City Tap House University City
Panelists include: Colleen Rakowski, Free Will Brewing; Aimee Garlit, Dogfish Head; Lynn Pronobis, Union Craft Brewing; Mary Izett, Columnist / Author; April Anderson, Country Malt Craft.
Categories: News, Event, Community, USciences, Misher College, Department of Biology, Brewing Science