In This Section
- News by Topic
- Media Resources
- University Events
- 5K Race for Humanity
- Advances in Pharmacy Practice
- Alumni Reunion Weekend
- Delivering Medication Therapy Management Services Certificate Program
- Discover Series
- Family Fall Fest
- Founders’ Day
- Graduate Student Orientation
- Healthy Lifestyles Social Media Business Competition
- Lois K. Cohen Lecture Series
- Making the Connections
- The Bernard J. Malis Memorial Lectureship in Humanities
- Misher Festival of Fine Arts and Humanities
- MLK Day of Service
- Patricia Leahy Memorial Lecture
- Pharmacy-Based Immunization Delivery Training
- Philadelphia Grain Malt Symposium
- Philadelphia Science Festival
- REEP Annual Symposium and Networking Event
- Research Day and John C. Krantz Jr. Lecture
- Undergraduate Research Festival
- Vestibular Rehabilitation Continuing Education Series
- Welcome Week
- USciences in the News
- The Bulletin Alumni Magazine
- The Insider Newsletter Signup
PA Pharmacists Association Installs USciences Alumni to President and Director Positions
The Pennsylvania Pharmacists Association (PPA) recently installed a USciences alumnus as its new board president as well as two alumni to director positions during PPA’s 2017 Annual Conference held at the Kalahari Resorts and Convention Center on Sept. 23, 2017, in Pocono Manor, Pa.
Nicholas Leon, PharmD’07, BCPS, BCACP, President – Dr. Leon graduated with his doctor of pharmacy degree from the USciences before completing residencies in pharmacy practice (PGY-1) at the New Mexico Veteran Affairs Health Care System in Albuquerque, N.M., and in ambulatory care (PGY-2) at the University of Maryland, School of Pharmacy in Baltimore, Md.
Currently, Dr. Leon is an associate professor of pharmacy practice within the Jefferson College of Pharmacy at Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia. Since 2009, he has published peer-reviewed articles in the American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy, Annals of Pharmacotherapy, the American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education, and P&T. Starting in 2015, Dr. Leon has also served as chair of the board of directors for the Pennsylvania Pharmacists Care Network (PPCN). Dr. Leon is an alum of AACP’s Academic Leaders Fellowship Program and is dual certified as a specialist in pharmacotherapy and ambulatory care by the Board of Pharmacy Specialties (BPS). Additionally, he has recently been elected into fellowship of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia.
Other officers that were installed in Pocono Manor were:
- Lauren Simko, PharmD – President-Elect
- Richard Demers, RPh, MS, FASHP – Vice President
- Eric Pusey, RPh, CDE – Immediate Past President
At the director level, PPA named:
John Barrett, P’84, RPh, MBA, CHC, Managed Care, Industry, Government, and other Practices Director – Barrett graduated from Philadelphia College of Pharmacy at USciences in 1984 and earned his MBA from LaSalle University in 2014. He is currently the vice president of business development and account management for PerformRx. Barrett is an active member of the Academy of Managed Care Pharmacy and the Health Care Compliance Association as well as the BucksMont Pharmacists Association (BMPA) where he serves as a director. In his community, he is involved with the AmeriHealth Caritas Care Crew, with Saint Titus Parish as the Outreach Coordinator and with Bethany Music Ministry.
Darryle Tillman, Tillman Jr., P’00, RPh, Health System Practice Director – Tillman graduated from Philadelphia College of Pharmacy at USciences in 2000. He is currently the staff pharmacist and residency preceptor in sterile products at Penn State Health–St. Joseph in Reading, Pa. Since his start at Penn State Health–St. Joseph in 2000, Tillman has been assigned to the emergency room, internal medicine and is currently specializing in sterile products/oncology. Tillman has also been an active member of the Berks County Pharmacists Association and has held the office of president since May of 2011.
Other practice setting directors that were installed in Pocono Manor were as followed:
- Nicole Pezzino, PharmD, BCACP, CDE – Academia Practice Director
- Shawn Nairn, RPh – Community Independent Pharmacist Practice Director
About The Pennsylvania Pharmacists Association Founded in 1878, the Pennsylvania Pharmacists Association is a professional membership organization of more than 2,300 pharmacists and pharmacy students across the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, representing almost all facets of pharmacy practice. As the leading voice of pharmacy in Pennsylvania, it promotes the profession through advocacy, education, and communication to enhance patient care and public health.
Categories: News, Alumni, Awards and Honors, Philadelphia College of Pharmacy, Department of Pharmacy Practice, Pharmacy, Pharmacy Administration