In This Section
- News by Topic
- Media Resources
- University Events
- 5K Race for Humanity
- Advances in Pharmacy Practice
- Alumni Reunion Weekend
- Continuing Pharmacy Education
- Discover Series
- Family Fall Fest
- Founders’ Day
- Graduate Student Orientation
- Healthy Lifestyles Social Media Business Competition
- Lois K. Cohen Lecture Series
- Making the Connections
- Misher Festival of Fine Arts and Humanities
- MLK Day of Service
- Patricia Leahy Memorial Lecture
- Pharmacy-Based Immunization Delivery Training
- Philadelphia Science Festival
- REEP Annual Symposium and Networking Event
- Research Day
- Undergraduate Research Symposium
- Welcome Week
- Welcome Receptions for Dr. Paul Katz
- USciences in the News
- The Bulletin Alumni Magazine
- The Insider Newsletter Signup
Edgardo A. Mercadante P’79 Honored at USciences’ 196th Founders’ Day Ceremony
Written by Jenna Pizzi
Published on February 20, 2017
An innovator who has pushed the evolution of the pharmacy profession, Edgardo A. Mercadante P’79, returned to University of the Sciences in Philadelphia to accept an honorary doctor of science degree during the University’s 196th Founders’ Day Ceremony on Thursday, Feb. 16, 2017.
Dr. Mercadante, an Italian immigrant who moved to the U.S. in the 1950s, said it was his parents teaching to make the most of every opportunity and be able to adapt to change that help to shape his career in the ever changing industry of pharmacy.
“I am forever grateful to my parents for teaching me at an early age to make the most of what I had, and to work hard to make any situation better through persistence and perseverance. I strongly believe that entrepreneurism is founded in making the most from small opportunities while adapting to a changing environment,” said Dr. Mercadante.
With beginnings working as a community retail pharmacist, Dr. Mercadante became the founder and subsequently the chief executive officer of numerous pharmacy and related healthcare innovative practice entities focused on pharmaceutical technologies, clinical involvement, and interdisciplinary patient care elements.
“Mr. Mercadante has a career that advanced the evolution of pharmacy from a traditional dispensing role, to technology enablement and patient care innovation,” said Dr. Marvin Samson HonAlm’96, HonDSc’16, Chairman, Board of Trustees.
Most recently, Dr. Mercadante has been the CEO of MedOptions, where he grew the company to be the national leader in the delivery of behavioral health services to the long-term care industry.
In addition to his BS degree in pharmacy from Philadelphia College of Pharmacy, Dr. Mercadante has pursued advanced studies in healthcare and business management at the University of South Carolina and is a registered pharmacist in numerous states. In May 2004, USciences officially dedicated the atrium in the Athletic/Recreation Center to Dr. Mercadante as a reflection of his continuous assistance, guidance, and association with the University, as well as his leadership support to the capital campaign that year: The Campaign For USP—An Historic Opportunity to Shape Our Future.
Dr. Mercadate has been married to Colleen A. Mercadante for over 37 years. They have three children: Nicholas, Daniel, and Jessica, who is a class of 2017 PharmD candidate.
Each year, Founders’ Day at USciences recognizes its establishment on Feb. 23, 1821, as Philadelphia College of Pharmacy—the first college of pharmacy in North America, which is now a part of USciences. In addition, merit awards were presented to current undergraduate and graduate students as well as a staff and faculty member:
- Charles McEwen, the Houghton Professor of Chemistry, received the 2017 Faculty Award of Merit
- Nadine Filemban PhSci’17 received the 2017 Undergraduate Student Award of Merit
- James Gamrat PhD’18 received the 2017 Graduate Student Award of Merit
- Michele Albert, director of events, received the 2017 Staff Award of Merit
See more photos from the Founders' Day ceremony here.
Categories: Feature Story, Alumni, Awards and Honors, Event, USciences