In This Section
- News by Topic
- Media Resources
- University Events
- 5K Race for Humanity
- Advances in Pharmacy Practice
- Alumni Reunion Weekend
- Continuing Pharmacy Education
- Discover Series
- Family Fall Fest
- Founders’ Day
- Graduate Student Orientation
- Healthy Lifestyles Social Media Business Competition
- Lois K. Cohen Lecture Series
- Making the Connections
- Misher Festival of Fine Arts and Humanities
- MLK Day of Service
- Patricia Leahy Memorial Lecture
- Pharmacy-Based Immunization Delivery Training
- Philadelphia Science Festival
- REEP Annual Symposium and Networking Event
- Research Day
- Undergraduate Research Symposium
- Welcome Week
- Welcome Receptions for Dr. Paul Katz
- USciences in the News
- The Bulletin Alumni Magazine
- The Insider Newsletter Signup
USciences Cancels Classes During Papal Visit
Published on August 13, 2015
University of the Sciences has announced that it will cancel classes on Friday, September 25 and change its academic schedule for Monday, September 28.
The arrival of Pope Francis on Saturday and Sunday, September 26 and 27, 2015, in conjunction with the World Meeting of Families Congress (Tuesday, September 22 through Friday, September 25) is expected to bring 1.5 million visitors to the City of Philadelphia.
For the past several months USciences faculty and staff have been in regular contact with representatives from local, state, and federal law, transportation, and emergency management agencies to learn information that could contribute to the University’s planning.
The President’s Cabinet, after conferring with the planning team and with the Faculty Senate, has decided to:
- Cancel classes on Friday, Sept. 25.
- Make Monday, Sept. 28 Mid-Semester Pacing Day: Undergraduate classes are canceled. Graduate classes may be held as per arrangement with instructors.
- Close administrative offices on Friday, Sept. 25 and Monday, Sept. 28.
- Online classes will be held at the discretion of the instructor.
A limited number of facilities will remain open to accommodate USciences students living on campus. Staff essential to the safe and proper functioning of the campus will be scheduled to work during this period.
Additional campus announcements will be made regarding campus operations during the September 25 through 28 period as traveling in the area becomes increasingly difficult.
Regional information is available from the following online sources:
Categories: News, Announcement, Faculty, Staff, Students, USciences