In This Section
- News by Topic
- Media Resources
- University Events
- 5K Race for Humanity
- Advances in Pharmacy Practice
- Alumni Reunion Weekend
- Delivering Medication Therapy Management Services Certificate Program
- Discover Series
- Family Fall Fest
- Founders’ Day
- Graduate Student Orientation
- Healthy Lifestyles Social Media Business Competition
- Lois K. Cohen Lecture Series
- Making the Connections
- The Bernard J. Malis Memorial Lectureship in Humanities
- Misher Festival of Fine Arts and Humanities
- MLK Day of Service
- Patricia Leahy Memorial Lecture
- Pharmacy-Based Immunization Delivery Training
- Philadelphia Grain Malt Symposium
- Philadelphia Science Festival
- REEP Annual Symposium and Networking Event
- Research Day and John C. Krantz Jr. Lecture
- Undergraduate Research Festival
- Vestibular Rehabilitation Continuing Education Series
- Welcome Week
- USciences in the News
- The Bulletin Alumni Magazine
- The Insider Newsletter Signup
Taste of India
by Maitri Patel PharmD'18 is the Public Relations chair for Kappa Phi Gamma Sorority Inc.
On April 9, 2015, Kappa Phi Gamma Sorority Inc. at USciences held a cultural event called “Taste of India.” Sisters of the sorority made a popular dishes from various states of India that exemplified the different spices and crops famous to that region.
Following a short presentation on India’s culture and food, attendees were encouraged to walk around the room and “taste” a part of India. Each station had a poster board of the state, which included the state’s population, an interesting fact, and the food they are most known for. The poster also included information on what the main dish was made from. Several of the attendees enjoyed experiencing different foods and were very interested in their origin. Over 50 people attended the event, and the sorority hopes to make this an annual event.
Kappa Phi Gamma held this event in order to promote cultural awareness, as it is one of their eight principles which are: Character, Leadership, Scholarship, Sisterhood, Service, Culture, Womanhood, and Self. This event highlighted an important fact that although India is one nation, each state has a different dialect, food, and culture, that makes each of them unique. Although India is a very diverse country, its uniqueness is forged together by common bond, and similar passions by its people. In the same way, Kappa Phi Gamma hopes to promote an understanding of cultural diversity on campus, as well as unity between different people of different backgrounds.
The sorority also recently hosted its annual C.A.R.E. Week, where we were able to raise over $800 for Bite Me Cancer.
Categories: News, Feature Story, Students, Awards and Honors, Event, Academics, Research, Academics, USciences