In This Section
- News by Topic
- Media Resources
- University Events
- 5K Race for Humanity
- Advances in Pharmacy Practice
- Alumni Reunion Weekend
- Delivering Medication Therapy Management Services Certificate Program
- Discover Series
- Family Fall Fest
- Founders’ Day
- Graduate Student Orientation
- Healthy Lifestyles Social Media Business Competition
- Lois K. Cohen Lecture Series
- Making the Connections
- The Bernard J. Malis Memorial Lectureship in Humanities
- Misher Festival of Fine Arts and Humanities
- MLK Day of Service
- Move-in and Welcome Events
- Patricia Leahy Memorial Lecture
- Pharmacy-Based Immunization Delivery Training
- Philadelphia Grain Malt Symposium
- Philadelphia Science Festival
- REEP Annual Symposium and Networking Event
- Research Day and John C. Krantz Jr. Lecture
- Undergraduate Research Festival
- Vestibular Rehabilitation Continuing Education Series
- USciences in the News
- The Bulletin Alumni Magazine
- The Insider Newsletter Signup
USciences Honors a True Champion
University of the Sciences presented the first USciences Service Award to MARVIN SAMSON HonAlm’96 at a dinner on Friday, November 1, 2013. This event raised over $400,000 for student scholarships. Samson, USciences board chairman, was selected as the first recipient for his countless contributions to the University.
The USciences Service Award is intended to recognize an individual who has demonstrated outstanding service to the University, through unwavering support of the University’s core principles of teaching, research, and service.
Over the years Samson has played a vital role in USciences’ growth from a college to a thriving university. His financial gifts have led to the establishment of the Marvin Samson Center for the History of Pharmacy Museum, the Misher Visiting Professorship in the Humanities, and the McNeil Science and Technology Center. The University’s Samson College of Health Sciences bears his name.
"I am truly honored by this tribute and even more touched by the immense generosity of our donors and sponsors who have provided meaningful scholarship support for USciences students,” said Samson.
Samson joined the USciences board of trustees in 1991 and over the years has performed many board duties including his most recent role as chairman. In 2011–12, he undertook the role of interim president while the University conducted a search that ultimately led to the appointment of HELEN F. GILES-GEE, PhD, as president.
“We are proud to call Marvin Samson one of our own,” said KATHLEEN MAYESP’76, PharmD’78, board vice chair and cochair of the event along with board member DONALD J. M. PHILLIPS P’70, PharmD’73. “The University has many special alumni and friends who contribute to making University of the Sciences a leader in healthcare and science education, but it only has one Marvin Samson who has risen to the top many times over the years in terms of his dedication, commitment, and service.” View more photos here.
Categories: The Bulletin, Board of Trustees, Alumni, President, Students, Awards and Honors, Event, Academics, Research, Academics, Giving, Mayes College, Misher College, Philadelphia College of Pharmacy, Samson College, USciences, Department of Biology, Department of Health Policy, Department of Pharmaceutical and Healthcare Business, Department of Pharmacy Practice, Department of Physical Therapy, Health Policy, Physical Therapy, Psychology, Pharmacy