In This Section
The Spanish minor is designed to provide you with a concentration in the Spanish language and culture that will both enhance your marketable skills in the health care professions and increase your employment opportunities regardless of your career path. This minor will give you the opportunity to explore all aspects of Latin American and Spanish culture including language, literature, and the arts of both the Old and New Worlds.
The need for Spanish-speaking professionals continues to increase with the growing Hispanic population in the United States. Successful completion of the Spanish minor will provide healthcare students with additional skills to augment the quality of healthcare services. Students in other fields will also attain knowledge and skills useful to them both personally and professionally.
Coursework & Duration
15 credits will be chosen from:
- Courses in Spanish numbered above 200.
- Any of the following:
- HU courses including:
- HU 340 Special Topics in the Humanities (Credits: 3)
- HU 399 Independent Study (Credits: 3)
All HU courses must pertain to the subject and have the minor advisor’s approval.
The final 3 credits will be:
- HU 498 Directed Study in the Humanities (Credits: 3), culminating in a capstone project
- To complete the minor successfully, you must earn a grade of "C plus" or better in each of your courses in the minor, and must maintain a minimum overall GPA of 2.0.
- A maximum of six credits may be transferred from another institution with approval of the Humanities Department chair.
Requirements & Expectations
You should apply to the minor program early in your academic career, usually by the fifth semester of college work, but no later than the end of the drop/add period of the first semester of their last year of didactic work. You must have a 2.00 GPA or higher and must have the approval of your advisor in order to apply for the program.
Successful completion of the minor requires 18 credits. Of these 18 credits, a minimum of 12 credits of minor coursework must be completed in addition to any courses (required courses or program electives) included in the major curriculum.
University of the Sciences
600 South 43rd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104-4495