In This Section
Data Science Major - Career Outcomes
As more organizations collect troves of valuable data, they need professionals who can manage this information, extract insight from it, and communicate their findings across sectors.
A data scientist is currently one of the most in-demand careers: IBM projects that by 2020, the number of annual job openings for all data-savvy professionals in the U.S. will reach 2.7 million.
And the position is not without reward. For three consecutive years, Glassdoor has rated Data Scientist as the best job in the nation based on the number of openings, job satisfaction, and the median annual base salary—hitting $110,000 in 2018.
Opportunities Across Industries
As more industries recognize the impact data can have on their return on investment, more organizations will open their doors to professionals with backgrounds in data science. These positions include data scientist, data analyst, business analyst, data mining specialist, and data manager.
A bachelor’s degree in data science can put you on the path to:
- Improve healthcare outcomes, decrease response times, and optimize hospital inpatient throughput
- Create innovative algorithms to advance automation systems, artificial intelligence, or the gaming industry
- Help achieve information dominance through enhanced system connectivity and greater automation for defense agencies
- Develop methodologies to observe the factors driving climate change and improve numerical weather forecasting
- Measure risk for the insurance industry and detect insurance fraud
- Increase efficiency for farming, including advancements in Smart Farming and Precision Agriculture
- Enhance image and speech recognition techniques for detection or medical diagnosis
- Evaluate sports performance to quantify a player’s progress and potential
- Pursue a graduate program in data science, statistics, applied mathematics, computer science, bioinformatics, or engineering for more specialized training
Griffith Hall, Room 130
University of the Sciences
600 South 43rd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104-4495
888-996-8747 or 215-596-8810