In This Section
Learning Outcomes: Chemistry, Biochemistry, or Pharmaceutical Chemistry
Students receiving an undergraduate BS degree in a program offered by the Department (Chemistry, Biochemistry and Pharmaceutical Chemistry) will have achieved proficiency in all areas necessary for success in the profession and/or post graduate education. These areas include:
- Fundamental Knowledge and Understanding: Students will demonstrate comprehension of the major sub-disciplines of chemistry (analytical, biochemistry, inorganic, organic and physical) through their ability to apply basic concepts in these sub-disciplines of chemistry.
- Fundamental Skills: Students will demonstrate understanding of basic experimental techniques, knowledge of instrumentation and safety issues in the laboratory in all areas of chemistry.
- Scientific Communication Skills: Students will be able to analyze and communicate scientific information effectively both in oral and written formats.
- Scientific Information Literacy Skills: Students will be able to survey and access scientific literature using a variety of resources in order to learn independently and communicate that information effectively.
- Problem Solving, Critical Thinking, Application of Knowledge: Students will demonstrate critical thinking skills to solve problems relating to chemistry and/or biochemistry.
Madhu Mahalingam, PhD
Interim Chair, Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry
Griffith Hall, 147D
University of the Sciences
600 South 43rd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104-4495