In This Section
Biochemistry, MS, PhD
Biochemistry makes connections. You’ll make connections of your own at USciences.
Expert instructors bring biology and chemistry disciplines together our graduate-level
courses. Research and internship opportunities link those lessons to the real world.
With an advanced degree, your knowledge and network help you make the ultimate connection—to
a rewarding career in biochemistry. Courses cost $1,676 per credit.
What Sets Us Apart?
- We’re accredited nationally by the American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology.
- Use sophisticated laboratory equipment and advanced technology, including a 400-MHz
NMR spectrometer, high-pressure liquid chromatographs, fluorescence spectrophotometers,
and powerful Beowulf supercomputers in our West Center for Computational Chemistry and Drug Design.
- We incorporate computer technology throughout the curriculum, starting with your first
course in chemistry. Nearly all lectures and labs integrate computer applications.
- Engage in independent research under the guidance of expert faculty.
- Our faculty specialize in structural biochemistry, bioinorganic chemistry, enzymology,
molecular biology, cell biology, immunology, bioinformatics, and biochemical genetics.
- Gain industrial experience via on-campus and off-campus internships.
Program Director’s Message
- Nicholas Cope PhD'20 Earns Founders' Day Award of Merit
March 09, 2020
An outstanding graduate researcher whose work to research cancer led to numerous publications, Nicolas Cope PhD'20 (biochemistry) was presented the 2020 Graduate Student Award of Merit during University of the Sciences' 199th Founders' Day Ceremony on Thursday, Feb. 13, 2020.
- USciences' Brewing Science Program Awarded Grant To Develop Quality Testing Lab
December 16, 2019
Governor Tom Wolf announced that the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board (PLCB) has approved $1.2 million in grants for 18 projects to increase the production of Pennsylvania-made malt and brewed beverages and enhance the Pennsylvania beer industry through promotion, marketing, and research-based programs and projects.
- USciences, West Pharma Mark 20 Years of Innovative Research at The West Center
December 13, 2019
University of the Sciences (USciences) and West Pharmaceutical Services (West) celebrated 20 years since the establishment of the West Center for Computational Chemistry and Drug Design during a celebration on USciences' campus on December 12, 2019.
- Biochemistry Lab Studies RNA to Help Further Drug Development
December 13, 2019
Knowing it would give him an advantage, Gregory Boymel BC'23 decided to use the summer before starting at USciences to get hands-on experience in a lab. As a biochemistry major, he thought working alongside Nathan Baird PhD, interim chair and associate professor in the Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry would be a perfect fit.
- University of the Sciences, Lallemand Brewing, and L2C Partners Announce GY7B Sour Beer Technology License Agreement
December 09, 2019
The GY7B technology allows Lallemand Brewing to further expand its portfolio of innovative and creative solutions for the brewing industry.
John W. Tomsho, PhD
Griffith Hall, Room 310A
University of the Sciences
600 South 43rd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104-4495