In This Section
At USciences you’ll establish a firm foundation of biology, chemistry, physics, and mathematics, integrating different disciplines through a comprehensive curriculum. You’ll apply your knowledge by conducting research with faculty, and you’ll gain valuable laboratory experience using sophisticated equipment. Your familiarity with the molecules and complex structures that make up organisms will enable you to go on to work in a wide range of industries or continue your studies in graduate or medical school.
What Sets Us Apart?
- Our biochemistry major program is accredited nationally by the American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology.
- The BS in biochemistry program is also certified by the American Chemical Society,
provided you include in your program specified chemistry electives.
- Our biochemistry major curriculum incorporates computer technology and applications into nearly all lecture and laboratory
components, starting with your first course in chemistry.
- Use sophisticated laboratory equipment and advanced technology, including a 400-MHz NMR spectrometer, high-pressure liquid
chromatographs, fluorescence spectrophotometers, and powerful Beowulf supercomputers
in our West Center for Computational Chemistry and Drug Design.
- Engage in independent research under the guidance of our diverse faculty.
- Our faculty members are experts in structural biochemistry, bioinorganic chemistry, enzymology,
molecular biology, cell biology, immunology, bioinformatics, and biochemical genetics.
- Gain hands-on industry experience with on-campus and off-campus internships.
- Lessen the total time and cost to complete a USciences biochemistry MS or PhD—the integrated graduate credit program allows qualified undergraduates to take up to 15 additional credits of graduate coursework at no extra cost.
USciences, West Pharma Mark 20 Years of Innovative Research at The West Center
December 13, 2019
University of the Sciences (USciences) and West Pharmaceutical Services (West) celebrated 20 years since the establishment of the West Center for Computational Chemistry and Drug Design during a celebration on USciences' campus on December 12, 2019.
Biochemistry Lab Studies RNA to Help Further Drug Development
December 13, 2019
Knowing it would give him an advantage, Gregory Boymel BC'23 decided to use the summer before starting at USciences to get hands-on experience in a lab. As a biochemistry major, he thought working alongside Nathan Baird PhD, interim chair and associate professor in the Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry would be a perfect fit.
Biochemistry Lab Positively Reacts to Passionate High School Intern
October 11, 2019
When nearing summer break, most high school sophomores are looking forward to taking time off from classwork and studying, but Emily Shang isn't like most of her peers. Instead of taking a couple months off, she searched the biographies of local professors with interesting lab work before landing on Zhihong Wang PhD, assistant professor of chemistry and biochemistry.
Biochemistry Student Gains Experience at Coveted Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Internship
July 16, 2019
Chosen as one of eighteen undergraduates from among more than 850 applicants, Blake Nelson BC'20 is gaining hands-on experience at the Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, where eight Nobel laureates have contributed to major discoveries in science.
Ursinus College, USciences Sign Affiliation Agreement
June 25, 2019
Ursinus grads can pursue advanced degrees in one of 12 USciences graduate programs
University of the Sciences
600 South 43rd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104-4495
888-996-8747 or 215-596-8810