In This Section
Physician Assistant, Undergraduate Pre-Professional Program - Progression Standards
Requirements for Pre-professional Students:
Students must achieve a “B-” or better in all courses with the prefix PHA (Physician Assistant specific courses).
- A student who receives less than a B- in a PHA required course must retake the course and earn a B- or better. A student may take the PHA course a maximum of two times to meet the required standard.
- If a student fails to meet this requirement after two attempts the student will be dismissed from the undergraduate pre-professional program.
- If a student earns a C- or lower in a PHA course on their 1st attempt at any PHA course they will be dismissed from the undergraduate pre-professional program.
Grades of “C” or better are required for all natural science courses in Biology (BS), Chemistry (CH), and Physics (PY)
- Students who earn a C- or lower have the opportunity to retake the course once in order to earn a C or better. Students who fail to meet this requirement will be dismissed from the undergraduate pre-professional program.
To progress to the second year of the undergraduate pre-professional program, the student must achieve a minimum cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) AND a natural science GPA of 3.00 or higher.
To continue further in the undergraduate pre-professional PA program, the student must achieve a minimum cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) AND a natural science GPA of 3.20 or higher.
- The student must also complete the clinical skills competency assessment, given at the end of PHA 208, with a grade of 85% or higher within two attempts to advance to third year status.
- Students who do not demonstrate 85% competency within 2 attempts will be required to retake PHA 206 & PHA 208, the courses which teach these skills. Failure to achieve the 85% prohibits the student from advancing in the program.
- Students must demonstrate at least 500 hours of direct patient contact and 100 hours of shadowing prior to applying to the graduate program.
Transfer Students to Undergraduate Pre-professional Program:
Transfer students will only be accepted into the fall or spring semester of the first year or the fall semester of the second year of the pre-professional PA program. Transfer students are held to the same academic standards as entry level students.
Transfer credit will not be given for any of the following courses:
- Organic Chemistry I and II
- Anatomy and Physiology I and II
- PA Shadowing and Physical Examination I and II
- Medical Terminology I and II
Students may apply for elective credit if these courses have been taken elsewhere.
Transfer credit will be accepted for natural science courses (except those required to be taken at USciences) only with a B or better. Transfer credit in English, math, social sciences, and electives will be accepted with a C or better.
Progression to USciences Graduate PA program
Students in the undergraduate pre-professional PA program have the option of applying to the USciences Graduate PA program from either the accelerated 3+2 track or the traditional 4+2 track. Application must be made through the Centralized Application Service for Physician Assistants (CASPA).
Students must earn a minimum 3.20 overall & natural science GPA and meet all progression standards of the Pre-PA program to be eligible to interview for progression to the graduate program.
Unsuccessful Progression to the Graduate PA program:
A third year student in the accelerated track with a science and overall GPA above a 3.20 who is denied progression to the graduate PA program will remain at USciences and reapply during the next CASPA cycle.
600 South 43rd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104-4495
888-996-8747 or 215-596-8821