In This Section
Physician Assistant, Undergraduate Pre-Professional Program - Progression Standards
Requirements for Pre-professional Students:
Students must achieve a “B-” or better in all courses with the prefix MI (Physician Assistant specific courses).
- A student who receives less than a B- in a MI required course must retake the course and earn a B- or better. A student may take the MI course a maximum of two times to meet the required standard.
- If a student fails to meet this requirement after two attempts the student will be dismissed from the undergraduate pre-professional program.
- If a student earns a C- or lower in a MI course on their 1st attempt at any MI course they will be dismissed from the undergraduate pre-professional program.
Grades of “C” or better are required for all natural science courses in Biology (BS), Chemistry (CH), and Physics (PY)
- Students who earn a C- or lower have the opportunity to retake the course once in order to earn a C or better. Students who fail to meet this requirement will be dismissed from the undergraduate pre-professional program.
To progress to the second year of the undergraduate pre-professional program, the student must achieve a minimum cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) AND a natural science GPA of 3.00 or higher.
To continue further in the undergraduate pre-professional PA program, the student must achieve a minimum cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) AND a natural science GPA of 3.20 or higher.
- Students must demonstrate at least 500 hours of direct patient contact and 100 hours of shadowing prior to applying to the graduate program.
Transfer Students to Undergraduate Pre-professional Program:
Transfer students will only be accepted into the fall or spring semester of the first year or the fall semester of the second year of the pre-professional PA program. Transfer students are held to the same academic standards as entry level students.
Transfer credit will not be given for any of the following courses:
- Organic Chemistry I and II
- Anatomy and Physiology I and II
- History and Physical Examination I and II
- Medical Terminology I and II
Students may apply for elective credit if these courses have been taken elsewhere.
Transfer credit will be accepted for natural science courses (except those required to be taken at USciences) only with a B or better. Transfer credit in English, math, social sciences, and electives will be accepted with a C or better.
Progression to USciences Graduate PA program
University of the Sciences undergraduate students in the Pre-Professional PA Program are offered a guaranteed interview for admission to the MSPAS Program. If all progression requirements are met, third-year students in the accelerated track may apply to begin completion of the Graduate phase of a 3+2 program. If accepted, students are eligible to begin the Graduate phase of the program and earn the remaining credits of their bachelor’s degree with completion of the didactic phase of the MSPAS Program. Undergraduate students in the traditional four-year Pre-Professional PA program who meet all progression criteria are also guaranteed an interview. All applicants to the MSPAS Program must apply through the CASPA application portal and follow the same admissions process.
Unsuccessful Progression to the Graduate PA program:
A third year student in the accelerated track with a science and overall GPA above a 3.20 who is denied progression to the graduate PA program will remain at USciences and reapply during the next CASPA cycle.
600 South 43rd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104-4495
888-996-8747 or 215-596-8821