In This Section
Microbiology—the study of life that cannot be seen with the naked eye—holds the answers to practical problems in health and medicine, food production and preservation, alternative energy, and infectious disease control. Some microorganisms cause disease, but many carry out important functions that are critical to life on Earth.
Our structured curriculum is flexible enough for you to pursue interests in clinical, environmental, basic and applied microbiology. You will also gain additional exposure to the natural and physical sciences and humanities, plus ample opportunities for independent study and/or directed research. The USciences microbiology major program is one of only a handful in the Mid-Atlantic region and meets the guidelines put forth by the American Society for Microbiology.
- The McNeil Science and Technology Center offers you access to labs, equipment, and resources at the forefront of science
- Expert faculty members provide unparalleled guidance to help you complete your degree and advance
in your career.
- A structured curriculum with strong cross-disciplinary interaction encourages working closely with students and faculty in other programs.
- Supervised independent research —early in your undergraduate program—gives you invaluable hands-on, practical experience.
- Our superior reputation for academics and research will help you gain employment in your choice of clinical, government, academic, and industrial settings.
- Your microbiology major lays a solid foundation on which you can build graduate studies
in forensic science, medicine, molecular biology, biotechnology and other advanced academic degrees in public health and research-based professional
- Lessen the total time and cost to complete a USciences MS or PhD—the integrated graduate credit program allows qualified undergraduates to take up to 15 additional credits of graduate coursework at no extra cost
- Loading Events...
USciences NewsView All
Jaspal Brar BI’18 Presented with USciences Founders' Day Student Award of Merit
February 21, 2018
The award is presented to an outstanding student who "exemplifies the innovative and entrepreneurial spirit of USciences' founders."
Dr. Bela Peethambaran Presented with USciences Faculty Award of Merit at 2018 Founders' Day
February 20, 2018
The award honors an outstanding faculty member who "exemplifies the innovative and entrepreneurial spirit of USciences' founders."
USciences Celebrates its 197th Founding
February 15, 2018
The ceremony awarded an honorary degree as well as awards of merit to a faculty member, graduate and undergraduate students, and a staff member. In addition, the University recognized endowed positions.
Alumna Finds Her Career in Medical Laboratory Science at USciences
February 14, 2018
Her science passion and desire to work in healthcare led Alexandra Ryan MLS'17 to a career in medical laboratory science.
Workshop Aims to Inform Students about Understanding, Serving, and Working with LGBTQ Individuals
February 14, 2018
The workshop inspired students to provide more education and advocacy for the LGBTQ community.
University of the Sciences
600 South 43rd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104-4495
888-996-8747 or 215-596-8810