In This Section
Cancer Biology, PhD
Our multidisciplinary curriculum combines the basic mechanisms of cancer biology with the translational aspects of drug discovery. At USciences, you’ll receive hands-on training in our state-of-the-art laboratories from faculty at the cutting edge of research. Upon completion of the program, you’ll be prepared to advance the fight against cancer in an academic, governmental, or industrial career.
What Sets Us Apart?
- Our unique program features an integrated training experience with renowned researchers from both USciences and The Wistar Institute, an international leader in biomedical research with special expertise in cancer
and vaccine research.
- Tuition for accepted students in the Cancer Biology, PhD is fully funded by USciences and The Wistar Institute.
- With our experienced faculty and comprehensive curriculum, you'll acquire training
in emerging approaches to cancer prevention and therapy.
- Small class sizes and mentorship allow you to learn from and build valuable relationships with expert
- In the classroom, you will study the latest developments in the understanding of cancer,
therapeutic strategies, and therapeutic compounds.
- In the lab, you will work side-by-side with world-renowned faculty members, exploring
molecular signaling pathways, tumor targeting, and other aspects of drug discovery,
in the heart of the region's biotechnology and health sciences industries.
- Hands-on work in Wistar’s Molecular Screening & Protein Expression Facility provides
an introduction to high-throughput approaches in therapeutic discovery and development
of robust, well-validated bioassays.
- To date, program graduate have all published first-author papers in Nature, PNAS, Cancer Research, and other high-impact journals.
- Print and share information about this joint program with The Wistar Institute—download this informational flyer.
- Graduate Fellows Honored for Academic and Research Achievements
April 10, 2019
Graduate students and their advisors celebrated the students' academic and research achievements at the annual Graduate Fellows Reception on March 14, 2019, in Wilson Hall.
- Jaspal Brar BI’18 Presented with USciences Founders' Day Student Award of Merit
February 21, 2018
The award is presented to an outstanding student who "exemplifies the innovative and entrepreneurial spirit of USciences' founders."
- Dr. Bela Peethambaran Presented with USciences Faculty Award of Merit at 2018 Founders' Day
February 20, 2018
The award honors an outstanding faculty member who "exemplifies the innovative and entrepreneurial spirit of USciences' founders."
Kenneth Myers, PhD
Associate Professor of Biological Sciences and Neuroscience
McNeil Science and Technology Center, Room 348
University of the Sciences
600 South 43rd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104-4495
Brian Keith, PhD
Professor and Dean of Biomedical Studies
The Wistar Institute
3601 Spruce Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104