In This Section
Brewing Science Certificate
We offer the region’s first Brewing Science Certificate—and with it a direct path
to employment and career advancement. Our brewing school is a post-baccalaureate,
18-credit program that dives deep into the science and math of creating the perfect
pint of beer—preparing you to excel in a rapidly growing field where specialized skills
are in high demand. Courses are designed to fit your needs with flexible evening classes,
your choice of a 1+ or 2+ year path to completion, and a cost of $1,000 per credit.
Graduates enter the marketplace in-demand, gaining positions as brewers, packaging leads and quality control directors. Some have even open their own breweries. In fact, 99% of our students were offered job opportunities after graduation.
What Sets Us Apart?
- Our team teaching model combines USciences faculty and facilities with a network of 20+ partners, instructors, and advisors from the brewing industry.
- Hands-on experiences: on-site in a cutting-edge pilot brew lab, and in the field through collaboration brew days and flexible internship locations to match your career
- Flexibility with evening classes and your choice of a 1+ or 2+ year path to coursework completion.
- Valuable methods and management practices in Quality Control and Microbiology taught in our lab courses.
- Learn essential lab methods, best practices, and ideal laboratory layout for creating a new quality control lab for your brewery.
Understand fundamental science and process considerations to troubleshoot problems during beer production.
Best practices for brewery design and layout from leaders in the field.
Brewing Science Director Cooks up New Textbook
August 13, 2019
Matthew Farber PhD, director of the Brewing Science Certificate Program and assistant professor of biology can now add another title to his name: published textbook author.
Dig It: Student's Passion Leads to Month-Long Excavation Trip in Belize
August 06, 2019
Victoria Pobok Bio'20, HumSci'20 has always loved learning about ancient cultures and this summer she was able to indulge that curiosity during a month-long archeological dig in Northern Belize studying the ancient Maya.
Brewing Science Grads Find Success in Variety of Brewing Industry Fields
August 01, 2019
Graduates of USciences Brewing Science Certificate program have found successful careers as brewpub owners, quality and lab managers, and as brewers for some of the industry's leading employers.
Brewing Science Certificate Helped Dan Neuner Realize Career in Quality Control
August 01, 2019
The USciences Brewing Science Certificate Program launched brewer Dan Neuner's career in a new direction.
Certificate Program Helped Grads Brew Up a Career Change
August 01, 2019
For many it takes several years working a traditional desk job to realize they need a change. For Chris Preston and Emily Siddall, the desire to change up their day-to-day led to them both enrolling in USciences Brewing Science Certificate Program.
Matthew J. Farber, PhD
McNeil Science and Technology Center, Room 371
University of the Sciences
600 South 43rd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104-4495