In This Section
Brewing Science Certificate
We offer the region’s first Brewing Science Certificate—and with it a direct path
to employment and career advancement. Our brewing school is a post-baccalaureate,
18-credit program that dives deep into the science and math of creating the perfect
pint of beer—preparing you to excel in a rapidly growing field where specialized skills
are in high demand. Courses are designed to fit your needs with flexible evening classes,
your choice of a 1+ or 2+ year path to completion, and a cost of $1,000 per credit.
Graduates enter the marketplace in-demand, gaining positions as brewmasters, in quality control, and have even open their own breweries. In fact, 100% of our students were offered job opportunities after graduation.
What Sets Us Apart?
- Our team teaching model combines USciences faculty and facilities with a network of 20+ partners, instructors, and advisors from the brewing industry.
- Hands-on experiences: on-site in a cutting-edge pilot brew lab, and in the field with one of our 13+ internship sites.
- Flexibility with evening classes and your choice of a 1+ or 2+ year path to coursework completion.
- Valuable methods and management practices in Quality Control and Microbiology taught in our lab courses.
- Learn essential lab methods, best practices, and ideal laboratory layout for creating a new quality control lab for your brewery.
Understand fundamental science and process considerations to troubleshoot problems as they arise.
Best practices for brewery design and layout from leaders in the field.
What Kind of Bacteria Are on the Bottom of Our Shoes?
July 10, 2018
Jason Heindl PhD, assistant professor of biology, helped to guide Jenn Frederick from Fox29's Good Day Philadelphia through the kind of bacteria cultivated from the morning show team members' shoes.
Mentorship in USciences' Lab Helps High School Student Advance Research
April 05, 2018
With the guidance of Dr. Heindl, Zhong was able to advance her hypothesis and explore how the bacteriophage viruses can communicate with each other.
Undergraduate Research Festival Celebrates Student Scholarship
March 23, 2018
The Undergraduate Research Festival sponsored by the Center for Undergraduate Research (CUR) celebrated the breadth of research projects being conducted by undergraduate students and their faculty mentors in a variety of labs and classrooms across campus. The three-day event formally began with ribbon cutting ceremonies by President Dr. Paul Katz.
Jaspal Brar BI’18 Presented with USciences Founders' Day Student Award of Merit
February 21, 2018
The award is presented to an outstanding student who "exemplifies the innovative and entrepreneurial spirit of USciences' founders."
Matthew J. Farber, PhD
McNeil Science and Technology Center, Room 374
University of the Sciences
600 South 43rd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104-4495