In This Section
USciences is the ideal place to study biology. We are an academic community uniquely dedicated to scientific discovery and career preparation in the life sciences. Conduct hands-on, graduate-level biology research as early as your first year. Our labs in the McNeil Science and Technology Center (STC) are fully equipped for advanced scientific instruction and in-depth research. Our biology faculty are highly accomplished researchers, dedicated educators, and critical links in your career and professional network.
What sets us apart?
- Strong academic and research strengths that allows you to succeed in the competitive
- The McNeil Science and Technology Center offers you access to labs, equipment, and
resources that are at the forefront of science.
- Strong cross-disciplinary interaction offers the chance to work closely with students
and faculty in the physics, statistics, pharmacology/toxicology and chemistry programs.
- Many faculty members have colleagues or acquaintances within the academic, governmental,
and private industry arenas, providing a rich array of contacts for you and opportunities
for internships and field experiences.
- The Department of Biological Sciences offers many opportunities to do primary investigative
research early in your undergraduate program. We regularly accommodate students with
the opportunity to do investigative laboratory research.
- Lessen the total time and cost to complete a USciences MS or PhD—the integrated graduate credit program allows qualified undergraduates to take up to 15 additional credits of graduate coursework at no extra cost.
USciences NewsView All
- USciences Professor of Virology Talks About Flu Season Safety
September 30, 2021
As flu season approaches, Assistant Professor of Biology Taisuke Izumi, PhD, shared more about the flu, who is at risk, and why it's important to get the annual flu vaccine.
- High School Student gets Experience Researching Cell Movement in Biological Sciences Lab
September 10, 2021
In the lab of Chris Janetopoulos, PhD, associate professor of biological sciences, high school students work alongside undergraduates to study how cells move.
- Faculty Under the Microscope: A Closer Look at USciences Faculty Research
February 05, 2021
USciences faculty researchers are passionate about their areas of interest. In these interviews, faculty members discuss how they got involved in their research and what keeps them interested.
- Board of Trustees Appoints New Roth Chair
January 12, 2021
University of the Sciences' Board of Trustees unanimously appointed Associate Professor of biology Bela Peethambaran, PhD, as the Abraham and Edythe Roth Chair in Pharmacognosy/Natural Products.
- Misher Students Find Safety and Success in Labs
October 07, 2020
To allow students to continue these hands-on experiences, USciences faculty got creative to schedule coursework that would ensure that the experience in Chemistry and Biology laboratories for the fall 2020 semester would be rich while still maintaining COVID-19 safety guidelines.
Griffith Hall, Room 130
University of the Sciences
600 South 43rd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104-4495
888-996-8747 or 215-596-8810