In This Section
USciences is the ideal place to study biology. We are an academic community uniquely dedicated to scientific discovery and career preparation in the life sciences. Conduct hands-on, graduate-level biology research as early as your first year. Our labs in the McNeil Science and Technology Center (STC) are fully equipped for advanced scientific instruction and in-depth research. Our biology faculty are highly accomplished researchers, dedicated educators, and critical links in your career and professional network.
What sets us apart?
- Strong academic and research strengths that allows you to succeed in the competitive
- The McNeil Science and Technology Center offers you access to labs, equipment, and
resources that are at the forefront of science.
- Strong cross-disciplinary interaction offers the chance to work closely with students
and faculty in the physics, statistics, pharmacology/toxicology and chemistry programs.
- Low faculty-to-student ratios provide for unparalleled access to our faculty, who are outstanding educators and researchers eager to provide opportunities for
- Many faculty members have colleagues or acquaintances within the academic, governmental,
and private industry arenas, providing a rich array of contacts for you and opportunities
for internships and field experiences.
- The Department of Biological Sciences offers many opportunities to do primary investigative
research early in your undergraduate program. We regularly accommodate very academically
strong students with the opportunity to do investigative laboratory research.
- Lessen the total time and cost to complete a USciences MS or PhD—the integrated graduate credit program allows qualified undergraduates to take up to 15 additional credits of graduate coursework at no extra cost.
USciences NewsView All
Fruit Fly Research Possible Key to Understanding Alzheimer's and Degenerative Diseases
July 16, 2019
What if someone told you fruit flies could be the answer to understanding and treating degenerative diseases? Thanks to a new grant from the National Institute of Health, Maggie Pearce PhD, assistant professor of biology and neuroscience, is leading a new study to find that data using the tiny insects.
PhD, Business Programs Prepared Priyal Vakil for Success in Industry
June 06, 2019
A curiosity to learn the entire process behind a medication, from the research behind novel drug candidates to the way the drug is ultimately delivered to patients, led Priyal Vakil PhD'19 (cell and molecular biology) on a unique path to a career in the pharmaceutical industry.
Graduate Fellows Honored for Academic and Research Achievements
April 10, 2019
Graduate students and their advisors celebrated the students' academic and research achievements at the annual Graduate Fellows Reception on March 14, 2019, in Wilson Hall.
Dr. Zachary Klase Presented With Faculty Merit Award at USciences' Founders' Day
March 01, 2019
University of the Sciences presented the 2019 Faculty Award of Merit to Zachary Klase, PhD, during its Founders' Day ceremony on Feb. 14, 2019.
USciences Celebrates Its 198-Year History at Founders' Day
February 18, 2019
With pomp and circumstance, USciences faculty, staff, students, alumni, and friends marked 198 years since the University was established at a special Founders' Day ceremony on Feb. 14, 2019.
University of the Sciences
600 South 43rd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104-4495
888-996-8747 or 215-596-8810