In This Section
American Pharmacists Association’s Delivering Medication Therapy Management Services Certificate Program
Date and Location
Wednesday, March 31, 2021
Live session offered virtually via Zoom!
By registering for this program, you agree to participate in the live portion of the course by using active video and audio feed through your computer or mobile device.
Technology Requirements: Live Seminar
The Live Seminar portion will be conducted online. To participate, the registrants must:
- Join Zoom webinar by computer, tablet, or any mobile device
- Must have a working camera and have video enabled throughout the entire program
- Must be present for the entirety of the program to be eligible for completion of the certificate training
- There is a Zoom app that can be downloaded on mobile devices through the App Store or Google Play. Search for Zoom Cloud Meetings app.
- In planning to use a MacBook, Macbook Pro, MacBook Air, iMac, etc., please navigate to Zoom (using the Mac computer that will be used for the Zoom session), click on the Download link at the right side of the screen, download and install/run the installer program (named Zoom.pkg).
- Join the meeting 15 minutes early to test that your microphone and camera is working properly and to check-in
- Please refer to the following to troubleshoot any audio/visual difficulties:
- The Zoom Meeting Link and password will be sent 3 business days prior to the seminar
APhA’s Delivering Medication Therapy Management Services certificate training program (4th Edition) presents a systematic approach for developing, implementing, delivering, and sustaining MTM services. It includes an overview of the marketplace for delivering MTM services, guidance for implementing MTM services in pharmacy practice, a review of the essential skills and knowledge needed for performing MTM successfully, and an organized process for identifying medication-related problems. The purpose of this certificate training program is to prepare pharmacists to improve medication use through the delivery of MTM services in a variety of practice settings.
Goals of this program
- Advance public health and patient care through improved medication use
- Provide training to enhance pharmacists’ ability to effectively provide MTM services
- Motivate increased numbers of pharmacists to establish MTM services
- Communicate benchmark practices for providing MTM services
APhA’s Delivering Medication Therapy Management Services certificate training program has three components:
- An online interactive self-study with assessment (10 hours of CPE)
- The live seminar with online evaluation (8 hours of CPE)
- Post-seminar case exercises (3 hours of CPE)
A Certificate of Achievement will be awarded to participants who successfully complete all program components, including an evaluation.
Key learning objectives for the live training seminar
At the completion of this activity, the participant will be able to:
- Conduct a thorough medication therapy review (MTR)
- When interviewing a patient, employ effective communication skills to overcome communication barriers
- Complete a personal medication record (PMR)
- Develop a medication-related action plan (MAP)
- Document medication therapy management (MTM) services in a manner that allows for evaluating patient progress, billing, and tracking clinical and financial outcomes
- Create a plan for patient follow-up
- Assess patient-specific data and issues, and interpret these findings to identify medication-related problems
- Develop a patient problem list and a list of the patient’s medication-related problems
- Establish goals of therapy for each medical condition and medication-related problem identified
- Make recommendations for resolving situations in which a patient’s medications are potentially inappropriate
- Discuss the elements of an effective medication therapy recommendation to another health care practitioner
- Describe the medication use concerns and adverse drug events that are more common in elderly patients
- Account for pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic changes when reviewing an elderly person’s medication regimen
- List important considerations when determining the operations of an MTM service
- Identify potential payers for MTM services
- Explain how to bill for MTM services using CPT codes
- Describe strategies for marketing MTM services
- Describe emerging opportunities for delivering MTM services
For a complete list of learning objectives and for all APhA accreditation information and policies, please visit APhA’s website.
Continuing Pharmacy Education (CPE) Information and Activity Completion Requirements
Initial release date: 7/01/2018; expiration date: 7/01/2021
Activity Type: Practice-based
Target Audience: Pharmacists in all practice settings
- Successful completion of the self-study component involves passing the self-study assessment with a grade of 70% or higher and will result in 10 contact hours of CPE credit (1.0 CEUs). ACPE Universal Activity Number: 0202-9999-18-164-H04-P.
- Successful completion of the live seminar component involves attending the full live seminar and completing the online evaluation. Successful completion of this component will result in 8 contact hours of CPE credit (0.8 CEU). ACPE Universal Activity Number: 0202-9999-18-165-L04-P
- Successful completion of the post seminar case exercise component involves completing 3 post cases and submitting an online attestation statement of completion. Successful completion of this component will result in 3 contact hours of CPE credit (0.3 CEU). ACPE Universal Activity Number: 0202-9999-18-166-H04-P
Once credit is claimed, Statements of Credit will be available online within 24 hours on participant’s CPE Monitor profile at www.nabp.net. The Certificate of Achievement will be available online upon successful completion of the necessary activity requirements on the participant’s “My Training” page on www.pharmacist.com
Program Coordinator and Instructors
Coordinator: Karleen Melody, PharmD
Instructor: Elizabeth Harris, PharmD, BCACP
Instructor: Charrell S. Porter, PharmD, BCACP
Cost and Registration
Current Philadelphia College of Pharmacy Preceptor or Alumni: $300*
Non-Philadelphia College of Pharmacy Licensed Pharmacist: $350*
Register Online - New registration deadline is March 28 in order to allow participants enough time to complete the self-study prior to the live seminar. Please give us 48 business hours from registering to get the information on how to access materials to you.
Cancellation Policy: No cancellation requests will be honored for refund less than one week prior to the program. Cancellations prior to 1 week before the program will receive a refund minus a $50 processing fee if the online code for course materials was not accessed. Participants who redeem an enrollment code will be charged a fee of $175 regardless whether or not they complete any portion of the self-study.
Please contact Kiara Cam at email@example.com if you have questions. if you have questions.
NOTE: Please be advised that this program is subject to postponement or cancellation if the required minimum number of registrants is not met at least 7 days prior to the program.
The American Pharmacists Association is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education as a provider of continuing pharmacy education.
Course material and exams will be accessed online - In order to participate in this activity, registrants must have access to a computer with minimum system requirements: Internet connectivity with current version of internet browsers, such as Chrome, Firefox, Safari, or Internet Explorer (V9 and above); Adobe Acrobat Reader, Flash Player 8 or higher, Windows 95, Pentium 3 or equivalent processor, 64 MB of free memory (not 64 MB total), and Audio: Sound card and speakers or earphones. Full technology requirements.
Delivering Medication Therapy Management Services: A Certificate Training Program for Pharmacists was originally created in 2007 by the American Pharmacists Association and the American Society of Consultant Pharmacists. Copyright © 2018 by the American Pharmacists Association.
600 South 43rd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104-4495