In This Section
University of the Sciences recognizes that attracting and retaining outstanding faculty and staff is critical to maintaining our academic standards of excellence. Toward that end, we offer a high-quality, comprehensive program of benefits. These benefits represent an important component of a faculty or staff member's Total Compensation.
Follow the links in the section for a brief summary of many of the benefit plans offered to "benefit eligible" faculty and staff at USciences. The Employee Handbook, and the summary plan descriptions, provide more detailed descriptions of the plans.
You will also find a definition of the eligibility criteria for Faculty & Staff. Changes or modifications to individual plans or benefit programs may occur after review and comment by the appropriate committees within the University's governance structure, or as mandated by applicable federal, state or local law.
Employee Tuition Remission
Enroll, at no charge, for classes at USciences upon completion of 90 day introductory period.
Higher Ed EAP Employee Assistance Program
Higher Ed EAP provides the benefits and solutions to help you and your family deal with virtually any personal issues you may encounter. In addition, Higher Ed EAP provides the resources needed to solve professional issues as well. USciences covers all costs associated with Higher Ed EAP so this program is of no charge to our employees. Please visit http://higheredeap.com to learn more about all the resources and personal/professional counseling available for you and your family.
Health Care Coverage (Medical & Dental)
Benefit Eligible Faculty & Staff
Eligibility for the University's Health Insurance (Medical, Dental, Health Care and Dependent Care Reimbursement Accounts), is based on an employee’s FTE (full time equivalency). An employee must work 20 hours or more per week to be eligible for University provided health care benefits.
An employee is considered "benefit eligible" for all other USciences benefits with an FTE of .750 or more. In addition to health care benefits, as a "benefit eligible" employee, you may receive:
Basic and Supplemental Life Insurance, Basic and Supplemental Long Term Disability Insurance, Retirement Plan participation (consistent with federal law, employees who work 1,000 hours/year are eligible), Tuition for dependent children, Tuition Reimbursement
Health Care Coverage
University of the Sciences offers group health care coverage for all benefit eligible faculty and staff. Coverage begins the first day of the month coincident with or next following month as a benefit eligible employee. Enrollment, however, is limited to the annual open enrollment period, unless required by a "change in family status" (birth, death, marriage, divorce, loss of health care coverage from another source).
Faculty and staff may select from several medical plans, including:
- Health Maintenance Organization (HMO) plan options offered by Aetna Select
- Point-of-Service (POS) plan option offered by Aetna Choice
- Personal Choice High Deductible plan option in conjunction with a pre-tax Health Savings Account (HSA.)
- Aetna High Deductible plan is paired with a pre-tax Health Savings Account (HSA.)
- Vision (Davis Vision) and CVS prescription plans are included in the medical plans.
- Employees may also choose to waive medical plan coverage.
- For additional information about these plan options, contact the Human Resources Department. Information is also available from Independence Aetna, including listings of participating physicians and hospitals.
- Dental plan insurance is available through Aetna Dental www.aetna.com. You can locate a Participating Provider from the Aetna website.
Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D) Insurance
Basic Employee Life Insurance:
University of the Sciences provides basic group term life and AD&D insurance to all benefit eligible employees. The amount of basic life insurance at any date is equal to 2 times the employee's annual base salary (rounded up to the nearest thousand).
Supplemental Employee Life Insurance:
- Benefit eligible employees may choose to purchase additional levels of term life insurance,
pre-tax payroll deductions, at:
- 1/2 X base salary
- 1 1/2 X base salary
- 2 1/2 X base salary (not to exceed $1,000,000)
Dependent Life Insurance:
- Benefit eligible employees may also choose dependent life through payroll deductions.
You may elect spouse (after tax) and eligible dependent child (pre-tax). Coverage
is available at:
- $25,000 or $50,000 for spouse
- $10,000 for dependent child only (per child)
Long Term Disability (LTD) Protection
Basic LTD Insurance
University of the Science’s basic LTD plan offers employees valuable financial protection in the event of a serious non-work related medical condition.
Coverage will begin on the first day of the month coincident with or next following date of hire as a benefit eligible employee. For example if you start on the first day of the month your coverage will begin immediately. If you start after the first day of the month, your coverage will be the first day of the following month.
The LTD plan provides benefits after an employee has been continuously disabled for a period of 6 months. If eligible, the employee will receive a monthly income benefit equal to 60% of covered salary at the date of disability but not to exceed $8,500 monthly. This amount will be offset by any benefits payable by Social Security and/or Worker's Compensation. However, in no event will the monthly income benefit be less than $100.
Another important aspect of the LTD benefit is the annuity premium waiver. This means that Liberty Mutual (the LTD carrier) will make contributions to the basic Retirement Plan equal to USP’s contribution, if the employee was participating in the Retirement Plan on the date of Disability.
Supplemental LTD Insurance
University of the Science’s Supplemental LTD plan offers employees additional financial protection in the event of a serious non-work related medical condition. Employees may purchase this additional 10% protection with pre-tax dollars via payroll deduction.
Coverage will begin on the first day of the month coincident with or next following the date coverage is selected. This coverage will provide an additional level of LTD protection equal to 10% of covered salary at the date of disability but not to exceed $10,000 monthly. This amount will be offset by any benefits you are eligible to receive for the same disability from other sources.
Paid Time Off
Full-time, 12-month employees earn paid time off as follows:
- Holidays: 9 paid holidays plus 3 floating holidays and 2 personal days
- Vacation: 12-month employees accrue 12 vacation days per year (1 day for each completed month of service from date of hire).
- Sick Leave: Employees accrue .833 day/month of completed service to a maximum of 10 days. per year (from date of hire). Sick time accumulates from year-to-year to a maximum of 90 days.
- Long Term Sick Leave: Employee accrue 22 days per year or 1.83 days per month, to a maximum of 132 days.
Health Care, Dependent Care, and Transit Reimbursement Accounts
All reimbursements from health, dependent care and/or commuter flexible spending accounts are made by our benefits center. Please contact human resources for more information. There is a great deal of information about the use and benefits of FSA/CB accounts location. Participants need to register and elect a password.
Basic and Supplemental Retirement Plan
Basic Retirement Plan – All benefit eligible employees participate in the University's Retirement Plan after completing one year of "benefit eligible" service. Participation in the plan is automatic, and contributions continue as long as the employee is actively employed by the University. Contributions to this basic portion of the Retirement Plan are equal to 8% of an employee’s base pay.
Supplemental Retirement Plan – A benefit eligible employee of University of the Sciences may elect to have a portion of his or her salary, up to a legally allowed maximum, placed each year in a supplemental retirement account. Contributions to the Supplemental Retirement Plan are not subject to federal taxation until such time as it is received as income.
Tuition Exchange Program
What is Tuition Exchange?
The Tuition Exchange is a reciprocal scholarship program for dependent family members of faculty and staff employed at over 620 participating institutions. The Tuition Exchange, Inc. a non-profit association, serves higher education by making careers at colleges and universities more attractive.
Who is eligible?
Dependent children of employees who work on a full-time basis for at least 5 consecutive years may receive a scholarship award for up to 4 years or 8 semesters at a participating undergraduate program.
You will receive reimbursement of tuition expenses at other colleges or universities, when enrolled in a degree program that is job related. There is a maximum reimbursement of $5,250/fiscal year, and the employee must successfully complete the course (grade "C" or better).
Tuition Remission Program
Benefit eligible employees earn tuition remission for their dependent children based on years of completed service with University of the Sciences. This tuition benefit is equal to:
25% remission following 1 year of service
50% remission following 2 years of service
75% remission following 3 years of service
100% waived following 4 years of service
Other University Services for Employees
Other University services available to faculty and staff include:
- The J.W. England Library, located at the corner of 42nd Street and Woodland Avenue in University City.
- Dining Services, including breakfast, lunch and dinner, at the Wilson Student Center dining hall.
- Athletic Recreation Center, in August 2003, the University opened a brand new 78,000 square-foot athletic and recreation center that provides fitness and recreational opportunities for the University population and practice space for varsity and intramural sports. The Athletic Recreation Center, nicknamed the “ARC”, also provides participants with a first-class environment for fitness conditioning, strength training, indoor jogging, multipurpose courts, aerobics studio and outside deck area. There are men’s & women’s locker rooms, a vending & television lounge area, classroom, conference rooms as well as equipment check-out areas.
- ID Cards
Hours of Operation
Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
University of the Sciences
600 South 43rd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104-4495