In This Section
Affiliation Agreement with Thomas Edison State University
University of the Sciences has an articulation agreement with Thomas Edison State University that allows you to make a direct entry into the W. Cary Edwards School of Nursing. Our special arrangement with Thomas Edison State University offers a seamless transition into the Accelerated 2nd Degree BSN Program for students who meet specific requirements. The School will hold a minimum of five seats each year for qualified USciences students.
About the W. Cary Edwards School of Nursing
Thomas Edison State University is located in Trenton, New Jersey, and is one of New Jersey’s 11 senior public institutions of higher education. Its mission is to provide flexible, high-quality, collegiate learning opportunities for self-directed adult learners.
In keeping with the mission of the University, the W. Cary Edwards School of Nursing provides high-quality nursing education programs that address the needs of the greater community. The School’s programs promote the high standards of the nursing profession, meet the demands of nurses, and the complex and changing needs of the healthcare community.
The goals of the W. Cary Edwards School of Nursing are to:
- Prepare graduates to assume leadership roles in a diverse society and changing healthcare environment
- Provide nontraditional nursing education programs that meet the needs of adult learners
- Provide a foundation for advanced study and lifelong learning
Nursing programs at Thomas Edison State University have been continuously accredited. More specific accreditation information.
Accelerated 2nd Degree BSN Program
The Accelerated 2nd Degree BSN Program at Thomas Edison State University in New Jersey is a 12-month Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree program designed for adults who have completed a non-nursing bachelor's degree prior to acceptance and are interested in becoming nurses. The flexible, self-paced programs serve the educational needs of nurses, society's healthcare needs, and the nursing profession's need for a clinically competent and technologically adept workforce prepared to assume leadership positions in nursing.
This is an intense, full-time program that prepares graduates for the National Council Licensure Exam for RNs (NCLEX-RN). Due to the rigorous nature of this full-time program, outside employment is not permitted.
Students from the University of the Sciences complete all prerequisite courses, during their course of study. Applications are accepted during the senior year at University of the Sciences. All qualified students are guaranteed an interview.
USciences students should notify Judy Sun, Pre-Health Professions Advisor, before the end of U3 of their interest in this program and to seek application information. You are eligible to apply provided you meet the following criteria:
- Completion of the following prerequisite courses or their equivalencies:
- CH 101 General Chemistry I (3 credits)
- SO 101 Introduction to Sociology (3 credits)
- PS 101 Introduction to Psychology (3 credits)
- BS 219 Basic Nutrition (3 credits)
- BS 243 Microbiology (4 credits)
- BS 310, 311 Anatomy and Physiology I & II (6 credits)
- BS 207, 208 Human Structure and Function I & II Laboratory (2 credits)
- PS 200 Psychology of Human Development (3 credits)
- ST 310 Biostatistics (3 credits)
- Coursework in ethics, preferably Bioethics (3 credits)
- No course grade less than a “B”
- Prerequisites must be completed within 5 years of enrollment
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0
600 South 43rd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104-4495