Located in Alumni Hall Room 108, The Writing Center provides free one-on-one writing assistance, group tutoring sessions, and online tutoring.
Peer tutors and faculty members assist you at any stage of a writing assignment or project—from brainstorming ideas to polishing syntax and style. We can assist with any of your writing needs for all courses and disciplines. This includes, but is not limited to, essays for the first-year writing sequence (WR 100, 101, and 102), lab reports, class assignments, and even personal statements for graduate school applications.
- Individual Appointments: One-on-one conversations about a specific writing project
- Writing Labs: Group discussions and tutorials on different aspects of the writing process
- Drafting Support: Guidance, support, and feedback throughout the research and writing process
- Online Tutoring Sessions: Get the same personal attention as traditional face-to-face conferencing with a trained graduate level tutor
We support students at every stage of the writing process including:
- Brainstorming at the start of an assignment
- Developing and sustaining an argument
- Clarifying your paper’s organization, transition, and flow
- Using APA style and citations
- Incorporating research and sources effectively
- Crafting personal statements for internships, scholarships, or graduate school applications
- Drafting cover letters for job applications
Make an Appointment
We offer a variety of group tutoring sessions called writing labs, led by experienced peer tutors.
These peer-led, weekly labs combine lectures, worksheets, reading assignments, group activities, peer editing, and presentations.
The group tutoring labs are small, creating a caring community of writers who are comfortable sharing their writing with others.
Call, email, or stop by to register for the labs you’re interested in. Space is limited—so register early!
Virtual Consultation Appointments
In order to schedule an online appointment with a tutor follow the steps below:
- Visit https://usciences.mywconline.com/
- New students will need to make an account with their USciences email address
- Insert username, password, and select Writing Center
- Choose a time slot and complete the information needed on the appointment form
- If you have any questions email email@example.com
Availability is limited. Appointments are ½ hour in length and must be scheduled at least 30 minutes before the tutoring session begins. Be sure to make appointments well in advance prior to high volume weeks such as midterms and finals. During your appointment a trained Writing Center Consultant will guide you through your writing process.
University of the Sciences
600 South 43rd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104-4495