Teaching and Learning Center
The Teaching and Learning Center promotes a culture within USciences in which excellent teaching and learning are valued and studied. It provides expertise, consultation, and scholarship to empower faculty to be effective and excellent teachers. With enhanced teaching competence, student learning outcomes will be improved.
The Teaching and Learning Center, located in Whitecar Suite 2600, provides and coordinates resources for faculty members from all disciplines who are interested in helping their students become more effective learners. All Teaching and Learning Center consultations are confidential. Services and activities include:
- Assist in the onboarding of new faculty
- Provide support for new faculty or faculty who are teaching new courses
- Consultations with individuals or groups interested in revising courses, improving lecture style, exploring new teaching strategies, improving tests, etc.
- Linking faculty members with USciences colleagues who have common instructional concerns
- Conduct confidential classroom observations and constructive feedback
- Conduct workshops and informal discussion groups on issues such as promoting learning-centered teaching, teaching large classes effectively, developing teaching portfolios, using authentic assessments and balancing teaching and research
- Provide suggestions on how to teaching large classes effectively, develop teaching portfolios, use authentic assessments and balance teaching and research
- Provide assistance in funding attendance at conferences on teaching and learning with travel grants
- Provide resources collection of books, journals, and newsletters on the teaching and learning process
- Encourage and assist faculty to innovate in their teaching and to assess the effectiveness of their teaching
- Award prizes for innovative teaching, outstanding adjunct teachers, scholarship of Teaching and Learning
- Disseminate Documents of Educational Innovations
- Assist faculty to use Rubrics for self-Assessment of Teaching for improvement and for promotion and tenure dossiers
- Educate faculty and administrators on how to conduct assessments of student learning, the teaching and learning process, and of educational programs.
We will do everything we can to help make your teaching at University of the Sciences in Philadelphia a rewarding experience.
Professor, Director of the Teaching and Learning Center,
Assistant Provost for Faculty and Assessment Development
University of the Sciences
600 South 43rd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104-4495