In This Section
Medical Cannabis Certification Course and Advanced Topics Seminar
Saturday, May 18 2019
University of the Sciences
IPEX, 2nd floor
45th Street and Woodland Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19104
Map, directions and parking information
Attend for a full day or a half-day of continuing education. Please read all course details before registering.
|7:30–8:00 a.m.||Morning Class Registration, Coffee and Light Breakfast|
|8:00 a.m.–12:15 p.m.||
PA Dept. of Health Approved Certification Course
Medical Cannabis: Clinical Considerations & Dispensing in PA
Certification Course Faculty:
Optional Lunch Program
Medical Cannabis in Practice: Strategies and Challenges
Costs: $13.50 Box Lunch; or bring your own
Afternoon Seminar Registration
Advanced Topics in Medical Cannabis Seminar (2.5 CE/CME* hours.) Each section is 50 minutes.)
* ACPE accredited or ACCME accredited continuing education hours.
More information about faculty and disclosures.
Certification Course Description
Medical Cannabis: Clinical Considerations and Dispensing in PA (4 hours)
The purpose of this program is to educate physicians, physicians, pharmacists, certified registered nurse practitioners or physician assistants seeking to register with the Pennsylvania Department of Health’s Medical Marijuana Program. All health professionals interested in learning more about medical cannabis are also encouraged to take this course.
- Explain the status of cannabis as a controlled substance under U.S. federal law and the provisions of Pennsylvania's Medical Marijuana Act of 2016 relevant to the responsibilities of the practitioner or medical professional.
- Describe key features of the endocannabinoid system and cannabis pharmacology, and non-phytocannabinoid constitutes of cannabis.
- Discuss best practices in patient evaluation, medical marijuana product choice, dosage and therapeutic monitoring based on the patient’s serious medical condition; including recognition of potential drug interactions, side effects, potential addiction.
- Evaluate possible concurrent opioid use, risk management needs, and palliative care considerations for pain management.
Afternoon Seminar Description
Advanced Topics in Medical Cannabis: (2.5 continuing education hours)
- Cannabis & Pain Management
- Cannabis, Cognitive Function, and Mental Health
- Autism Spectrum Disorder: Pediatric Considerations
This program is for healthcare professionals who are seeking advanced clinical training to improve their knowledge of cannabis use for specific serious medical conditions, including implications on special populations. Participants should have completed introductory Medical Cannabis education training, similar to the USciences 4-hour Certification course.
- Describe the relationship between the endocannabinoid system and various pain conditions.
- Review cannabis formulations and highlight some of the current literature on medical cannabis for various pain conditions.
- Summarize the current state of knowledge and research limitations regarding cannabis use and cognitive functioning in adolescents and young adults, including clinical implications.
- Summarize the evidence linking cannabis use and mental health outcomes.
- Describe the state of knowledge and research limitations regarding medical cannabis treatment for Autism Spectrum Disorder.
- Understand the utilization of medical cannabis in the treatment of Autism Spectrum Disorder in the CHOP study and identify critical differences in CBD medication availability and use across the United States.
Physicians: In support of improving patient care, this activity has been planned and implemented by Amedco LLC and Substance Use Disorders Institute. Amedco LLC is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), to provide continuing education for the healthcare team. Credit Designation Statement – Amedco LLC designates this live activity for a maximum of 4 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditsTM. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Pharmacists: ACPE Credits for this knowledge based program will be awarded and submitted for all pharmacist attendees who register & attest to their active attendance through the webcast platform, complete the evaluation form, successfully complete the post-test, and submit their NABP ePID and DOB verifier (MMDD). 100% attendance is required.
Alpha Zeta Omega National Pharmaceutical Fraternity, Philadelphia Alumni Chapter is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education as a provider of continuing pharmacy education.
Learners must complete an evaluation form to receive a certificate of completion. You must participate in the entire activity as partial credit is not available. If you are seeking continuing education credit for a specialty not listed, it is your responsibility to contact your licensing/certification board to determine course eligibility for your licensing/certification requirement.
Acknowledgment of Financial or In-Kind Commercial Support
No financial or in-kind commercial support was received for this educational activity.
No refunds. You may transfer your registration to an alternate participant, with advance notice, or apply the fee amount towards a future certification course, if available.
For special needs or accommodations, including for the optional box lunch (gluten free, allergies, etc.) please contact email@example.com
Gail Groves Scott, MPH
Manager, Substance Use Disorders Institute
University of the Sciences
600 South 43rd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104-4495