|In February 1821, a group of 68 apothecaries convened in Carpenters Hall in Philadelphia "to advance the character and forward
the interest of the profession" and established the Philadelphia College of Apothecaries.
|Instruction began November, 1821 in a few rented rooms of the Hall of the German Society on Seventh Street between
Market and Chestnut in Philadelphia.
|Philadelphia College of Apothecaries was incorporated as the Philadelphia College of Pharmacy, the first college of pharmacy in North America.
|The first periodical in the United States devoted to the art and science of pharmacy, the American Journal of Pharmacy, was published by the college.
|The first class of the Philadelphia College of Pharmacy graduated, consisting of only three students.
|One of the first faculty members, George B. Wood, MD, professor of chemistry, became a dominant figure in the development of the United States Pharmacopeia. Thus began a public service of the college to the establishment of national drug
standards, a service that has continued without interruption to this day.
|The college moved to its own facility—a four-story, newly constructed building (cost $8,324) on Zane (now Filbert) Street
between Seventh and Eighth Streets (shown here).
|The Dispensatory of the United States of America, a comprehensive commentary on drugs, was first published. The Dispensatory was authored and edited for more than a hundred years by successive generations of faculty of the college.
|William Procter, Jr., widely recognized as the “Father of American Pharmacy” graduates from the college.
|Delegates from several states convened to found the American Pharmaceutical Association,
now the American Pharmacists Association, headquartered in Washington, DC. Many graduates or former faculty members have served as officers of the Association.
|Susan Hayhurst, the first woman to graduate from the college, received a graduate degree in pharmacy (PhG).
|Joseph Price Remington, professor of theory and practice of pharmacy, published the Practice of Pharmacy, which soon became established as the standard text in the field. Later renamed Remington: The Science and Practice of Pharmacy, this comprehensive reference work remains widely used throughout the world.
|A charter amendment changed the name of the institution to the Philadelphia College of Pharmacy and Science and new baccalaureate programs in biology, bacteriology, and chemistry were added.
|The college relocated to its present campus at 43rd St. and Woodland Ave. in West Philadelphia.
|One of three original bronze castings of the renowned (Abraham) Lincoln Memorial statue found its home here. Since then, students have rubbed President Lincoln’s
right foot for good luck.
|The extraordinary generosity of Eli Lilly (class of 1907) ensured the survival of the college during the Great Depression. And a solid legacy
for the future was secured when, from the Lilly estate, the college received the largest gift in its history.
|Dr. Ivor Griffith organized a Quinine Pool which gathered scarce stocks of quinine from pharmacies
across the nation, for use in treating malaria among our troops during World War II.
|John E. Kramer (PhG’25, BSc’36) who served as recruiting and admissions officer, registrar, recording secretary,
comptroller, public relations officer, and overall “cheerleader.” organized and hosted a long-running series of programs based on the theme You and Your Health, presented by college faculty and aired by WFIL-TV and affiliated stations.
|The C. Mahlon Kline Pharmacology Laboratory was opened.
|Whitecar Hall, a student activities center including dining halls and student organization, lounge
and conference rooms, was named in honor of Blanche Gardner Whitecar, a staunch friend and major benefactor of the college.
|The college’s main building, Griffith Hall, was rededicated in honor of deceased President Ivor Griffith, in fitting recognition of his stewardship.
|The Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) program, one of the first in the country, is introduced.
|McNeil Research Center, which provided greatly expanded facilities for faculty and student research, named
in memory of Robert McNeil (class of 1876) and made possible by gifts from Robert Lincoln McNeil, Robert L. McNeil, Jr. (class of 1938), and Henry S. McNeil.
|Alumni Hall/Rosenberger Auditorium, a gymnasium, athletic department office complex and auditorium, was named in recognition
of many alumni gifts and a principal contribution by J. Mervin Rosenberger.
|Osol Hall, an 88-room, modern student residence facility, was named in recognition of the many years of devoted service to the college by
Arthur and Virginia Osol.
|Joseph W. England Library, housing one of the nation’s most complete collections of pharmaceutical literature, including many rare volumes on the history of pharmacy and medicine dating to the Middle Ages, was dedicated and funded largely by Elizabeth R. England, a member of the board of trustees, in memory of her father who served as chairman of the board 1924–1933.
|The Pennsylvania Department of Higher Education approved an integrated undergraduate-professional
graduate program leading to dual degrees of BS in health sciences and master of physical therapy (MPT).
|With a lead gift of $2 million from The Mabel Pew Myrin Trust (Pew Charitable Trusts), nearly $6 million was raised toward construction of a Pharmacology/Toxicology Center. A subsequent matching grant of $500,000 from the trusts secured a fund of $1.5 million
to upgrade scientific equipment for teaching and research in the pharmaceutical and
|A baccalaureate in biochemistry and pharmaceutical chemistry were added.
|Appointment of Allen Misher, PhD (P’59) as president in 1984, and significant campus and programmatic expansion occurs from
1984-1994: Wilson Student Center, Goodman Hall, Glasser Hall, D’Angelo Mall, Writing
Center, Teaching and Learning Center.
|SmithKline and French donated $250,000 toward a redesigned mall with brick walkways that integrated the
surrounding college buildings both architecturally and aesthetically. The Alfred J. D’Angelo Mall was dedicated in memory of a former executive vice president of SmithKline and
long-term chairman of the college’s board of trustees.
|Goodman Hall, a new residence building with study areas, lounges, and game rooms, was dedicated
in honor of Jerome S. Goodman (P’58), a member of the board of trustees.
|Donald O. Wilson (P’34) and Rosemary Wilson enabled construction of Wilson Student Center, which provided an honors residence for upper-class students, greatly enlarged dining
facilities, meeting and conference rooms, and recreation, music, and computer rooms.
|An existing four-story building along the Woodland Avenue corridor was restructured
to provide modern lecture, clinical practice, and research laboratory facilities as
well as administrative, faculty, and staff offices in support of the growing physical therapy program.
|A gift presented by Leonard Abramson (P’60), a major benefactor and member of the board of trustees, established the institution’s
first fully endowed faculty chair, the Leonard and Madlyn Abramson Professorship in Pharmacology.
|The entry level doctor of pharmacy (PharmD) program, BS in health science and a master
of occupational therapy (MOT) were established.
|Appointment of Philip P. Gerbino P’69, PharmD’70 as president, and dramatic growth continued: size of the student body quadrupled,
number of academic offerings grew, physical campus expanded to include residential
living and focus on student life.
|The University museum was officially named the Marvin Samson Center for the History of Pharmacy, in recognition of the vice chairman of the board of trustees and a major benefactor
of the institution.
|The long-sought Breyers Ice Cream property was ceded to the University.
|The BS and MS in health psychology, BS in environmental science, MS in cell biology and
biotechnology, MS in biomedical writing, and PhD in pharmacognosy were developed.
|A collaborative program in physician assistant studies, culminating in a BS in health science awarded by this institution and an MS from the Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, was begun.
|Through the generosity of Robert L. McNeil, Jr. (P’38), the McNeil Athletic Fields were dedicated, providing students with a regulation-size women’s softball field,
a jogging track, and open recreational space. David Bergman (P’51) provided funds for new tennis courts.
|The institution acquired university status to become University of the Sciences in Philadelphia (USP).
|Baccalaureate degree programs were expanded to include pharmaceutical sciences and pharmaceutical marketing and management (now pharmaceutical
and healthcare business) as well as the PhD in health policy.
|In appreciation of long term support of the college, especially the physical therapy
program, by Abraham Glasser (P’43) and Gloria Glasser (Hon’02), the physical therapy building was later designated Glasser Hall.
|Misher College of Arts and Sciences was renamed in 2000 for Allen Misher (P’59), University president from 1983 through
|The University introduces Drake the Devil, a modern-day mascot fit to cheer on the student athletes in his lab coat and goggles.
|Baccalaureate degree programs were expanded to include bioinformatics, computer science, and health science.
|An executive MBA program in pharmaceutical and healthcare business was established.
|Dedication of the Athletic/Recreation Center (ARC) represented a key element in the grand design for the University’s south campus as
a hub of “student-centered learning and living.”
|The University applied to the National Collegiate Athletic Association in 1999 and acquired NCAA Division II status in September 2003
|A new basketball arena was dedicated in honor of former longtime coach and current
athletic director Robert C. “Bobby” Morgan.
|Integrated undergraduate professional degree programs leading to a BS in health science and a doctor of physical therapy were added.
|Masters in public health added along with the BSHS in exercise science and wellness management (now exercise physiology).
|The McNeil Science and Technology Center (STC) was dedicated to Robert L. McNeil, Jr. (P’38), former University professor, and former CEO of McNeil Laboratories.
|BS in physics and PhD in cell and molecular biology were added.
|The McNeil Science and Technology Center (STC) became the new base of operation of
the department of biological sciences and the department of math, physics, and computer
|Samson College of Health Sciences is named for Marvin Samson (HonAlm’96, HonDSc’16), in honor of his service as a board member and generous philanthropy to the University
|To aid awareness and to prepare for increasing competition, a comprehensive rebranding
initiative was launched. The name was simplified to University of the Sciences/USciences for easier recall and broader exposure to the growing global marketplace.
|Doctor of occupational therapy (DrOT) program introduced.
|Dr. Helen Giles-Gee was named the first African-American and first female president of the University, making significant improvements to operations, maintaining financial stability,
and establishing new accredited academic programs.
|The Integrated Professional Education Complex (IPEX), a 57,000 square foot, three story building, opens. The building is designed to showcase
the interprofessional education model that permits students from several disciplines to gain traditional and hands-on experience
in the building’s mock exam rooms, simulation labs, and clinical spaces.
|Dr. Paul Katz is named president, leading the university through the COVID-19 pandemic and the
Bicentennial celebration, launching an online-education division, helping to build
a robust pre-health program, and placing an emphasis on partnership.
|Drake the Devil is reborn with a new look to cheer on our Devils Athletics with their new branding from the sidelines.
|With the completion of the Living & Learning Commons, the University expands its footprint West along Woodland Avenue and provides state-of-the-art
living and learning facilities for residential students.
|USciences launched its online education division, USciences Online, to offer 100% online, asynchronous degrees and certificates.
|USciences faculty and staff band together to donate personal protective equipment
to those working on the front lines responding to the COVID19 global pandemic, donating more than 60,000 masks, gloves and protective suits, adapting to hybrid
education to limit the amount of in-person instruction, and utilizing online technology
and new educational methods.