About the Writing Center
The Writing Center, located in Alumni Hall, Room 108, provides free one-on-one writing assistance, group tutoring sessions, and online tutoring.
Peer tutors and faculty members are available to talk with you at any stage of a writing assignment or project, from brainstorming ideas to drafting your paper to polishing syntax and style. We will work with you on your writing for any course or discipline, including essays for the first-year writing sequence (WR 100, 101, and 102), lab reports, class assignments, and even personal essays for grad school applications.
- Individual Appointments: One-on-one conversations about a specific writing project
- Writing Labs: Group discussions and tutorials on different aspects of the writing process
- Drafting Support: Guidance, support, and feedback throughout the research and writing process
- Online Tutoring Sessions: Get the same personal attention as traditional face-to-face conferencing at your fingertips with a trained graduate level tutor
We support students at every stage of the writing process including:
- brainstorming at the start of an assignment
- developing and sustaining an argument
- clarifying your paper’s organization, transition, and flow
- APA style and citation
- incorporating research and sources effectively
- crafting personal statements for internships, scholarships, and/or graduate school applications
- developing cover letters for job applications