This page contains information you will need to successfully complete the first step in the RA application process.
Resident Advisors (RAs) are experienced student leaders who serve as members of the Student Life staff, caring for and supporting USciences’ residential population.
Through their presence and outreach, RAs positively shape the on-campus living experience, while also enhancing their own leadership skills (including time management, interpersonal communication, budgeting, public speaking, and conflict mediation).
RAs’ primary responsibilities include building community and serving as a resource to the students living on their floor(s) and in their residence hall. Residence Life depends on the performance of each RA to support the whole team.
Few campus employment opportunities provide students with the scope and depth of this position; RA applicants must be prepared for an incredibly rewarding and challenging experience where they can impact the lives of many students.
Each RA must:
- Be a full-time registered USciences student,
- At the time of application, possess a 2.5 GPA (and maintain that minimum GPA for the duration of their employment)
- Demonstrate consistent academic performance
- Remain in good standing with respect to conduct and student accounts
- Complete SS 203 (or some variant -- offered Spring 2014) within one academic year of accepting the position.
RAs receive a grant of around $9500, to be applied to their housing and meal plan expenses.
Process and Timeline
Week of November 19, 2012
- Applications will be available online. Click here for application.
To learn more, candidates are encouraged to attend one of the following information sessions:
- Wednesday, November 14: 2:30-3pm, Wilson 205-207
- Monday, December 3: 4:30-5pm, Wilson 205-207
- Tuesday, January 15: 7:30-8pm, Osol First Floor Lounge
- Wednesday, January 23: 7:30-8pm, Goodman Gameroom
- Monday, February 4: 7:30-8pm, Wilson 205-207
It is highly recommended you attend one of the sessions; the same material will be presented at each.
Friday, February 15, 2013
- All application materials will be due online by noon.
- You will need to sign up for an individual interview time. Please contact Judy Styles (email@example.com) to setup a time by Friday, February 15, 2013 at 4 pm.
Monday, February 18, 2013 thru Friday, March 1, 2013
- Will be with professional staff member and current RA
Sunday, February 24, 2013, 3-6pm (Wilson 205-207)
- All candidates must attend.
Monday, March 11, 2013
- Decisions will be emailed AFTER Housing Selection Night
- All candidates should participate in the housing selection process until they have been offered and accepted a RA position
Introductory Staff Meeting
TENTATIVE: Thursday, March 28, 2013, 1-3pm
- This will be an opportunity for ALL 2013-2014 RAs to meet for the first time!
Before submitting your application, please read and understand the 2013-2014 RA Contract.
The Department of Student Life wants to ensure that you thoroughly understand the application process and the requirements of the position. If you have any questions regarding the application process please contact Jay Tifone, Associate Director of Student Life, at 215.895.3120 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.