Procedures for Transferring Radioactive
Transfer of radioactive materials to another
authorized user within the University of the Sciences:
- The Radiation Safety Officer must be notified prior to any
- Radioactive materials may only be transferred to another
individual authorized to possess the radionuclide being transferred.
- The radionuclide must be packaged and moved in a way that
will avoid spilling the material and unnecessary exposure to anyone.
- Appropriate changes must be made to authorized users inventories
and utilization forms.
Transfer of radioactive materials outside the
University of the Sciences:
- Contact the Radiation Safety Officer well in advance of the
planned shipment date. The Radiation Safety Officer will contact the other
institution to obtain a copy of its license and to make arrangements with
the other institution for receipt of the package and will advise the authorized
user and laboratory personnel about packaging and shipping requirements. Regulations require proper training and certification for those individuals shipping hazardous substances.
- Plan to use a commercial carrier
to ship radioactive materials. Do not use a private vehicle to transport radioactive
materials because any
person transporting hazardous materials must receive specialized training.