Radiation Safety Training
All individuals who work in or who frequent
areas in which radioactive materials are used or stored:
- Must attend EHRS's radiation safety training before assuming
duties in these areas.
Classroom training is provided for new workers
dealing with radioactive material two times per year. Interim trainings
may be scheduled with the EHRS Department (X8925) if a new worker needs
training prior to a scheduled training.
- Must undergo refresher training.
Annual refresher training is provided by attending
one of the scheduled sessions or by completing a safety discussion
guide and quiz.
Training is provided for maintenance, custodial, and Public
Safety personnel during the New Employee Orientation Program. Refresher training
may be conducted by classroom or with a Safety Reminder handout.
The authorized user is responsible for:
- Ensuring that all staff and students under his/her supervision
are adequately trained in radiation safety practices specific to the activities conducted in the laboratory. This includes information
and training on the hazards, handling procedures, equipment and emergency procedures, and ensuring compliance
with safety and regulatory procedures associated with the radioactive materials.
- Bearing responsibility for radiation safety, and enforcement of license, state, and federal requirements and the radiation safety manual.
- Being available to staff and students when
materials are delivered and when work with radioactive materials is taking place in their laboratories. If
this is not possible, another authorized user should be given this responsibility.
- Directly supervising staff and students until they are proficient and knowledgeable in handling and compliance procedures regarding the research project and radioactive materials.