EXEMPT PACKING INSTRUCTIONS
1. Specimen Packaging
- Leak-proof primary container(s);
- Leak-proof secondary packaging;
- Fragile primary containers must be wrapped or separated to prevent contact and breakage;
- Sufficient absorbent material must be placed between the primary and secondary containers to absorb entire contents so that no liquid release will reach the outer packaging (no absorbent is needed if the sample is solid); and
- Rigid outer packaging of adequate strength for its capacity, weight and intended use with at least one side 100 X 100 mm or more.
2. Labeling Outer Package
- If you are packaging a patient specimen, the outer package must be marked with "Exempt human specimen," or "Exempt animal specimen."
- If you are packaging biological products, the outer package does not need special labeling.
- Inner containers containing blood and blood products must be labeled with a biohazard symbol.
There is no limit for quantities shipped in the package.
A Shipper's Declaration for Dangerous Goods is not required.