The USciences Department of Campus Recreation takes pride in giving back to the community. The department recognizes its students’ and professional staffs’ dedication to service. Marc Caserio, director of campus recreation, reported that through volunteerism and service, the department raised $11,366 for various charities in 2012-13, including:
- They donated recreational equipment to the Coptic Orthodox Church of Archangel Michael and St. Mena.
- USciences’ Got Talent raised $1,000 for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation.
- Pink-A-Thon raised $4,616 for the Linda Creed Foundation.
- The Femi Memorial 3 on 3 Basketball Tournament – Raised $2,700 for the Femi Memorial Fund.
- Faculty, staff, and students participated in the Tough Mudder which raised $450 for the Wounded Warrior Project.
Most recently, members of the USciences’ family came together to participate in MuckFest MS as The Muddy Bunch. MuckFest MS is an annual race with a five-mile obstacle course to raise money for the National Multiple Sclerosis Society that in turn assists local families living with MS. The obstacle course symbolizes the struggles individuals with MS face on a daily basis. It was the third year USciences faculty and students participated. The Muddy Bunch raised $2,600 for the charity.
“We celebrate our Department of Campus Recreation for their unending commitment to the community, and we encourage all of our students and faculty members to give back using their own unique talents,” said Maria Kiechel, Campus Recreation’s fitness/aquatics manager.