The Friends of USP held its annual Open House on February 25. The organization, formerly known as the Women’s Club, is marking its 82nd birthday (founded in February 1929). While another name change is looming in the future – to Friends of USciences, the group continues to promote activities that emphasize the administration of funds to benefit students.
Founded by a group of dedicated women who bonded to form the Women’s Club, their goal was to promote by cooperative effort the interest of the University through social contacts, student service, and cultural activities. They realized that the increasing cost of obtaining a college education was a real drain to the resources of our students and their families – then as it is now. Their efforts to render student service through increased scholarship aid received special attention.
In addition to the scholarships that were set up, the Women’s Club was busy with other projects:
- started the very first “lunch room” for the students in 1932
- purchased and donated property that became the site for Kline Hall and McNeil Research Center
- donated funds toward the building of Whitecar Hall which included furnishing the Women’s Club Room (Blanche Gardner Whitecar)
- donated almost $12,000 toward building the Pharmacology and Toxicology Center in 1985 and renovations to Griffith Hall in 1986
- in 1990 contributed proceeds from an Art Auction towards the building of Wilson Student Center
The Friends of USP continues in the tradition of the founding members of the Club. In general, this service consists of funding scholarships and commencement prizes. In addition, during the academic year the Friends offer Academic Student Development Grants (scholarships or stipends) to current undergraduate student organizations and individuals who are participating in professional development opportunities. Applications for development grants may be obtained from Anna Marie Melchiorre, 215.596.8778 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Merit Awards (For our undergraduate students)
- Marie B. Connolly Scholarships
- Frances F. Curran Service Scholarship
- Arthur and Virginia Lebo Osol Scholarship
- Blanche Gardner Whitecar Memorial Scholarship
- Friends of USP Scholarship
Additional Scholarships/Prizes/Professional Opportunities
Commencement Awards (Presented annually at commencement convocation)
- The Maude E. Hunsberger Prize
- The Elizabeth G. Krusen Prize
- The Friends of USP Past President Memorial Prize
- The Edna Woodside Memorial Prize
- Blanche Gardner Whitecar Memorial Prize
- Renee Mock Prize
For more information about Friends of USP, contact Gloria Goodwin at email@example.com.