University of the Sciences will celebrate its 190th Commencement on May 25, 2011, starting at 1 p.m. at the Mann Center for the Performing Arts. In addition to handing out degrees to the next generation of pharmacists, scientists, and healthcare professionals, the University will grant two honorary doctor of science degrees. This year’s recipients are Professor Emeritus Freeman J. Dyson, Institute for Advanced Study (Princeton, N.J.); and alumna Mary Louise Tigue Andersen P’52, Department of Health and Human Services (retired).
Professor Dyson began his career as a mathematician before turning to exciting new developments in physics in the 1940s, particularly the theory of quantized fields. In 1953, he joined the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton, N.J., as a professor of physics before retiring as professor emeritus in 1994. He wrote two papers on the foundations of quantum electrodynamics which have had a lasting influence on many branches of modern physics.Professor Dyson went on to work in condensed-matter physics, statistical mechanics, nuclear engineering, climate studies, astrophysics and biology.
Beyond his professional work in physics, Professor Dyson has a keen awareness of the human side of science and of the human consequences of technology. His books for the general public include “Disturbing the Universe,” “Weapons and Hope,” “Infinite in All Directions,” “The Sun, the Genome and the Internet,” “The Scientist as Rebel,” and “A Many-colored Glass.” In 2000, he was awarded the Templeton Prize for Progress in Religion.
Born in 1923 in Crowthorne, England, Professor Dyson received a BA in mathematics from the University of Cambridge in 1945, and came to the United States in 1947 as a Commonwealth Fellow at Cornell University. He settled in the US permanently in 1951.
Ms. Andersen has devoted her life to meeting the needs of access to health services, particularly primary care, for all persons. After graduating from Philadelphia College of Pharmacy, she joined her father in community pharmacy practice in Wilmington, Del. Andersen joined the American Pharmaceutical Association (APhA) in 1949 and served as vice president from 1967 to 1968 and was the first woman elected to speaker for the APhA House of Delegates from 1969 to 1971. She was later an APhA Honorary President in 1997-98.
Ms. Andersen's experience in APHA, led to a career in public service when she became a project officer in the U.S. Public Health Service in 1974. Her career continued to include roles as director in the Division of Hospitals and Clinics, special assistant to the director in the Office of the Assistant Secretary of Health; special assistant to the director for the Center for Substance Abuse and Treatment; and deputy director in the Department of Health and Human Service’s Bureau of Primary Health Care, where she established the Office of Pharmacy Affairs.
After her retirement from government service in 1999, Ms. Andersen helped found the Healthy Community Access Program that supports the development of infrastructure within communities to link providers with the uninsured and underinsured.