Dr. Elisabeth A. Morlino, special assistant to the president, recently provided the campus with a status updates for various accreditations.
A) Middle States Commission Accreditation Status:
At its session on June 27, 2013, the Middle States Commission on Higher Education acted to reaffirm accreditation of the Institution. This is a great outcome following the campus’ work last year! Thanks to all for the hard work and support.
The following items requested in two years by the Commission were consistent with those USciences had identified as necessary to be accomplished in its self-study report. The Commission requested a monitoring report, due March 1, 2015, documenting further steps taken to implement:
- an institutional strategic plan that includes clearly stated institutional and unit-level goals and objectives that are stated in terms of outcomes, are linked to the mission and are used for planning and resource allocation, and that includes the statement of responsibility for improvements and assurance of accountability (Standard 2);
- a comprehensive facilities master plan that recognizes that facilities, such as learning resources fundamental to all educational and research programs and the library, are adequately supported and staffed to accomplish the institution’s objectives for student learning (Standard 3);
- a comprehensive, organized and sustained assessment in general education, with evidence that assessment results are used to improve teaching, learning and institutional effectiveness, and that assessment results are linked to resource allocation (Standards 7, 12 and 14).
A team visit may follow the submission of the report. The Periodic Review Report is due November 1, 2018.
(Excerpted from a letter to Helen Giles-Gee from Chair Barbara Gitenstein, June 28, 2013)
B) Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education:
At its June 19-23, 2013, meeting, the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE) Board of Directors decided that: accreditation of the Doctor of Pharmacy program be continued at the Institution. Again, excellent news and congratulations to all of those who were involved! The accreditation term granted for the Doctor of Pharmacy program extends until June 30, 2015. There is no written interim report required during this two-year term. Rather the program is asked to address the standards for which monitoring is requested (3 standards) in its upcoming self-study prepared for the comprehensive evaluation to be scheduled during AY 2014-2015. The summary of the Evaluation of All ACPE Standards showed 3 standards out of 30 were “compliant with monitoring” and 27 standards out of 30 were “compliant”.
C) Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE):
On May 7, 2013, ACOTE acted to accredit the DrOT program for 5 years with an interim report due April 2015. The next accreditation on-site visit will take place 2017-2018. Non-compliance:
- 3 faculty members without terminal degree. (Since that time 2 have attained their doctorates and 1 will complete their degree in December);
- Non-doctoral faculty teaching in program. (now team teaching with faculty with doctorate)
- Also noteworthy: of the 206 standards, the two listed were the only “non-compliant” standards. In addition, they had nine areas of “strengths” and one “best practices”.
D) Candidacy/Provisional Status:
- Initial Accreditation Review from Council on Education for Public Health: Our Public Health programs were pleased to submit a self-study report to the Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH) in June 2013 for initial accreditation review and look forward to the site-visit in January 2014.
- BS and MBA in Pharmaceutical and Healthcare Business: Submitted for candidacy status for accreditation with Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP) Global Business Accreditation.
- Accreditation Review Commission on Education for Physician Assistants (ARC-PA). USciences was awarded accreditation – provisional certificate for the Graduate Professional Physician Assistant Studies Program at its September 2012 Commission meeting. There will be a visit in spring 2016 by ARC-PA for the self-study and evaluation, when the program will be eligible for full accreditation. This is after the first class graduates. Also, our program had NO areas of “non-compliance”.