Program Schedule and Registration
||Introductions and Lecture
||Break-out Group Discussions
||Discussion Group Leaders and Guest Lecturer wrap-up- answering charges of each specific group
Continuing Education Units
2.5 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) will be offered in DE, NJ and PA for this event.
Participants will gain knowledge in or be able to perform:
- Describe the pathophysiology of concussion/mTBI
- Identify the latest research and guidelines related to concussion/mTBI
- Differentiate factors that contribute to prognosis and outcome following concussion/mTBI
- Differentiate the key components of medical, neuropsychological and physical therapy assessment in patients with concussion/mTBI
- Recognize the importance of a team approach in the effective management of individuals with concussion/mTBI
- Recognize the role of physical therapy in the multidisciplinary management of concussion/mTBI
- Describe negative outcomes related to concussion/mTBI
- Appreciate management principles for rehabilitation
- Apply the principles of concussion/mTBI management/progression to a patient case study
- Pathophysiology & Biomechanics
- Negative Outcomes
- Diagnosing Concussion/mTBI
- Neurocognitive Assessment
- Balance/Vestibular Assessment
- Managing Concussion/mTBI
- Risk factors related to outcome
- Symptom Management/Medications
- Physical Therapy management
- Return to Activity
- Case-based treatment Discussions
- Group discussion of Cases
- Final Q & A
- Daneshvar DH, Nowinski CJ, McKee AC, Cantu RC. The epidemiology of sport-related concussion. Clin Sports Med. Jan 2011;30(1):1-17, vii.
- Bazarian JJ, McClung J, Shah MN, Cheng YT, Flesher W, Kraus J. Mild traumatic brain injury in the United States, 1998--2000. Brain Inj. Feb 2005;19(2):85-91.
- Giza CC, DiFiori J. Pathophysiology of sports-related concussion: an update on basic science and tranlational research. Sports Health. 2011;3(1):46-51.
- Meaney DF, Smith DH. Biomechanics of concussion. Clin Sports Med. Jan 2011;30(1):19-31, vii.
- Aubry M, Cantu R, Dvorak J, et al. Summary and agreement statement of the First International Conference on Concussion in Sport, Vienna 2001. Recommendations for the improvement of safety and health of athletes who may suffer concussive injuries. Br J Sports Med. Feb 2002;36(1):6-10.
- McCrory P, Johnston K, Meeuwisse W, et al. Summary and agreement statement of the 2nd International Conference on Concussion in Sport, Prague 2004. Clin J Sport Med. Mar 2005;15(2):48-55.
- McCrory P, Meeuwisse W, Johnston K, et al. Consensus statement on Concussion in Sport 3rd International Conference on Concussion in Sport held in Zurich, November 2008. Clin J Sport Med. May 2009;19(3):185-200.
- Gottshall KR, Hoffer ME. Tracking recovery of vestibular function in individuals with blast-induced head trauma using vestibular-visual-cognitive interaction tests. J Neurol Phys Ther. Jun 2010;34(2):94-97.
- Collins MW, Grindel SH, Lovell MR, et al. Relationship between concussion and neuropsychological performance in college football players. Jama. Sep 8 1999;282(10):964-970.
- Collins MW, Lovell MR, Iverson GL, Cantu RC, Maroon JC, Field M. Cumulative effects of concussion in high school athletes. Neurosurgery. Nov 2002;51(5):1175-1179; discussion 1180-1171.
- Lovell MR, Collins MW, Iverson GL, et al. Recovery from mild concussion in high school athletes. J Neurosurg. Feb 2003;98(2):296-301.
- Lovell MR, Collins MW, Iverson GL, Johnston KM, Bradley JP. Grade 1 or "ding" concussions in high school athletes. Am J Sports Med. Jan-Feb 2004;32(1):47-54.
- Lovell MR, Pardini JE, Welling J, et al. Functional brain abnormalities are related to clinical recovery and time to return-to-play in athletes. Neurosurgery. Aug 2007;61(2):352-359; discussion 359-360.
- Reddy CC, Collins MW, Gioia GA. Adolescent sports concussion. Phys Med Rehabil Clin N Am. May 2008;19(2):247-269, viii.
- Alsalaheen BA, Mucha A, Morris LO, et al. Vestibular Rehabilitation for Dizziness and Balance Disorders After Concussion. Journal of Neurologic Physical Therapy. 2010;34:87-93.
- Guskiewicz KM. Balance assessment in the management of sport-related concussion. Clin Sports Med. Jan 2011;30(1):89-102, ix.
Patricia Leahy Scholarship Committee
Dr. Therese Johnston and Dr. Gregory Thielman
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia
Department of Physical Therapy
Box 39, 600 South 43rd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104