Please note: When a computer is in Safe Mode, the display might look unusually large and grainy. This is normal. You may also receive a warning message box from Windows informing you that the computer is in Safe Mode. Read this message then close it.
1) Windows 2000 does not include the msconfig System Configuration Utility.
2) To use the F8 method:
- Restart the computer. Watch the screen while it is black.
- When you see "Starting Windows" immediately press the F8 key.
- When a white text menu appears on a black screen, choose the menu option for Start in Safe Mode.
You will see a warning message from Windows confirming that you are in Safe Mode. Click OK to proceed past it.
1) To use the System Configuration Utility method:
- Click Start.
- Click Run. The Run dialog box appears.
- Type msconfig and
then click OK. The System Configuration Utility screen
as shown below will appear on your screen.
- Click on the Boot.ini
- Check the /SAFEBOOT option.
- Click OK.
- When prompted to restart the computer, click Restart.
2) To use the F8 method.
- Restart the computer.
- After the logo of your computer manufacturer disappears, press and hold the F8 key.
- Choose Safe Mode from the Advanced Options Menu. Windows starts in Safe Mode. Regardless of which method you used, you will see a warning message from Windows confirming that you are in Safe Mode. Click OK to proceed past it.
If you pressed the F8 key and chose Safe Mode from a white text menu on a black screen, just restart you computer normally and do not press anything during the boot-up process. It will boot-up in to Normal Mode.
If you typed msconfig in the Run box, follow the same instructions you used to place a check in the Safe Mode (Windows XP) or the Enable Startup Menu (Windows 98/ME). This time, uncheck the appropriate box. When asked if you want to restart, do so.
After you have returned to Normal Mode, you may receive a message from Windows informing you that the computer had just been in Safe Mode. If there is a check box to not display the message in the future, place a check in the box then click OK. If there is no check box, then just click OK.