The University of the Sciences is looking for a Research Technician to work in an academic lab specializing in biotechnology development for the Department of Biological Sciences. This position will report to Dr. Peter Berget, Ph.D., Professor and Chair.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Lab Management Duties
- Ordering supplies, interacting with sales reps, keeping the lab stocked
- Maintaining equipment & tracking service contracts
- Database Maintenance – archiving bacterial strains, oligonucleotides & dyes
- Purchasing card reconciliation
- Manages inventory of consumables, buffers, competent cells, etc.
- Supervising and training undergraduate & graduate students
- Manages research budget
- Corresponding with collaborations
- Maintaining protocols & recipes
- Grow bacteria to produce proteins
- Protein purification, use of AKTA Prime system, column & affinity chromatography, SDS-PAGE
- Performs basic cell & molecular biology manipulations like sub-cloning DNA, preparing samples for DNA sequencing, PCR
- Performs fluorescence measurements, enzyme assays
- Interprets experimental outcomes to propose new experiments
- Summarizes data for publications
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- The successful candidate will have extensive laboratory experience utilizing cell culture, UV-Vis spectrophotometry, pH meters, DNA and RNA extraction, PCR, fluorescent microscopy, gel electrophoresis, SDS-PAGE & Western blotting.
- The candidate should have experience with either Windows or Macintosh operating systems
- Skills in basic computer applications such as Microsoft Office.
Education and Experience:
- The successful candidate will possess a BS degree and training in cell biology, molecular biology or microbiology. Two years of experience working in a lab are required.
- Preference will be given to individuals who have experience in cell culture and fluorescence microscopy.
- Master’s degree in molecular biology, microbiology or biotechnology, experience in industrial or biopharma setting is a plus.
To apply for this position, email a cover letter/letter of interest and resume (in MS Word or PDF format) along with salary range/expectations to: email@example.com
Electronic submissions only
USciences is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.