Laboratory Scientific Stores Manager
Purpose of the job:
Reporting to the Director, Environmental Health and Radiation Safety, the Laboratory Scientific Stores Manager will assist University laboratory faculty, staff and students with the acquisition of laboratory and stockroom materials and supplies. In addition, he/she will manage the day to day operations of the Central Chemical Stockrooms, Flammable and Waste Areas that service all University research and instructional laboratories and their departments, including assisting with and ensuring the adherence to applicable safety and compliance procedures and regulations.
- Provide assistance to faculty, staff and students in the proper selection and acquisition of chemicals, drugs, hazardous and radioactive materials, gas cylinders, laboratory supplies and equipment, spill kits, PPE and glassware from outside vendors and maintained stockroom inventory.
- Coordinate and handle the Stockroom and University Laboratory Departments’ electronic credit card orders, purchase orders, transfer of proper licenses and forms, billing, invoicing, reconciling, monthly expenditure budgeting and analysis, procedures for timely package receipt and delivery, and serve as a resource for purchasing, delivery and billing problem-solving, and appropriate follow-up, when needed.
- Conduct product searches, evaluate price and quality comparisons and negotiate with vendors on chemicals/hazardous substances, gas cylinders and laboratory equipment. Assist with various waste service contracts.
- Maintain administrative control of inventory processes, records and databases for hazardous substances and supplies, including the minimization of university laboratory department over-purchases, duplicate ordering, inaccuracies and overcharges, errors in shipments and licensing, minimization of wastes, and to help prevent non-compliance issues when proper facilities or procedures are not in place prior to orders of regulated hazardous substances.
- Evaluate, develop, and implement procedures to ensure the stockroom/waste storage areas and processes run safely, efficiently and compliant with regulations and safety standards, security measures are in place, and ensure faculty, staff and students are trained.
- Maintain safety and compliance in the proper receipt, segregation, labeling, transfer, storage and disposal of hazardous materials and all waste streams, maintain centralized safety data sheets, and ensure proper grounding and dispensing of flammables/materials.
- Provide training and oversight to faculty, staff and students on the proper packaging, labeling and shipping/transportation procedures for hazardous materials per DOT/IATA regulations. Coordinate the pipet repair program.
- Assist with the response to hazardous material incidents, environmental concerns and serve on the safety committees.
- Hire and supervise student employees to assist in the day to day operations.
- Stay current with the standards of scientific material management, applicable governmental environmental regulations and standards, and Department policies and procedures.
- Perform other duties as assigned and assist the director, as needed.
Education and Experience:
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in chemistry or related field with previous training and experience in safe handling and procurement of chemicals.
- Environmental health and safety, chemical hygiene, or laboratory safety experience is desirable.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
- Computer skills and excellent interpersonal, communication and organizational skills is required. Must also have critical-thinking and problem-solving skills and the ability to work with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Ability to work without direct supervision.
- Knowledge of applicable environmental/occupational regulations is highly desirable.
- Familiarity with spreadsheets and/or databases and budget management skills are highly desirable.
To apply for this position, email a cover letter/letter of interest and resume (in MS Word or PDF format) along with salary range/expectations to: email@example.com
Electronic submissions only
University of the Sciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disability/Veteran