Director, University Events
Purpose of the Job:
The Director, University Events is responsible for providing leadership and professional expertise in the planning and implementation of high quality events for the University President, Institutional Advancement, Academic Affairs and other ad hoc events and functions. The Director will work to identify and facilitate discussions and decisions about issues affecting events and will ensure that high standards and university priorities are reflected in the planning and presentation of events. The Director will interact with, and events will serve, diverse and distinguished guests, including faculty, staff, students, parents, trustees, donors, visiting dignitaries, community members, etc.
The Director will work independently and also as a member of the Institutional Advancement team, and coordinate his/her activities with those of other units in Institutional Advancement and other units at the University.
- Identify and participate in discussion and decision-making about strategies, opportunities, potential conflicts and other issues related to the successful production of events.
- Provide leadership and direction in the planning and execution of campus-wide events for donor cultivation, stewardship, and recognition and ensure that USciences continues to be viewed as a worthy focus of charitable giving and other forms of support.
- Work collaboratively within the Division of Institutional Advancement to ensure the smooth operation and success of the department, including to maximize potential and meet event goals and objectives.
- Develop and/or maintain highly professional standards and procedures for production of events in keeping with the image and reputation of USciences. Serve as central campus resource for matters of university protocol (e.g., event format, image projection, and etiquette to be observed).
- Prepare pre- and post-event analysis, and assess opportunities and make recommendations for improving service to internal and external constituencies, and implement those improvements as appropriate.
- Prepare year-end events report, providing analysis and recommendations for future actions and improvements.
- Prior to all events, receive or make recommendations on program content and organization. Independently, or in concert with program sponsor, oversee event program development (e.g., recruit and/or facilitate coordination and briefing of speakers/presenters, develop program agendas, determine order of speakers, etc.)
- In partnership with key staff, develop and/or ensure utilization of standardized systems and technology to automate elements of events planning, tracking and production whenever possible.
- Administer annual Events operational budgets and ensure they are prudently managed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Minimum of associate's degree required (bachelor's degree preferred; significant work experience can substitute for bachelor's degree).
- Minimum of five (5) years of job-related experience.
- Substantial and progressively responsible experience in, and knowledge of, planning, production and management of events.
- A driver’s license is required.
- Evening or weekend work will likely be required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
- Demonstrated project management, time management, and organizational skills, with the ability to manage details of multiple and complex projects with firm schedules.
- Ability to set priorities that accurately reflect the relative importance of activities or job duties.
- Effectively carry out event goals in a manner that enhances the image of the university.
- Fiscal and budget management knowledge and experience.
- Excellent communication skills, both orally and in writing.
- Computer skills with ability to use word processing and spreadsheet software, and knowledge of desktop production and database systems.
To apply for this position, email a cover letter/letter of interest and resume (in MS Word or PDF format) along with salary range/expectations to: (email@example.com).
Electronic submissions only
University of the Sciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disability/Veteran