Major Gifts Officer
Pupose of the Job:
Reporting to the director of individual giving, the major gifts officer is responsible for managing relationships with gift prospects determined to have the ability to make gifts at or above the $25,000 level. This position is charged with developing and implementing strategies for securing financial support from a portfolio of prospects, including identifying, qualifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding advancements for University of the Sciences from alumni and friends.
The major gifts officer will work independently and also as a member of the Institutional Advancement team, and coordinate his/her activities with those of other units in Institutional Advancement and other units at the University.
- Work independently and be self-motivated in initiating contacts with potential donors.
- Manage a case load of active advancement prospects, and implement and execute strategies for solicitation of these prospects, ensuring regular interaction through personal visits, mail/email, telephone, campus visits, and other events.
- Assume and achieve annual fundraising and activity goals.
- Draft proposals, briefings, contact reports and other correspondence for prospects.
- Make numerous decisions on cultivation time committed versus expected gift response, determine who needs to be involved in the relationship with the prospective donor and decide the most effective and productive use of travel time.
- Work in a collegial manner with the development team, key administrators, and volunteers in creating and implementing strategies for cultivation, solicitation, and closure.
- Manage program of giving surrounding annual class reunions of alumni.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required. The individual is expected to have outstanding verbal and written communication skills, as well as good listening, organizational and computer skills.
- Proven experience in individual major gift fundraising, preferably in higher education, and/or sales experience in cultivating and soliciting leads.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
- Broad knowledge of the principles of fundraising and an ability to participate in all aspects of the gift cycle.
- Knowledge of IRS and FASB laws, rules and regulations is recommended, along with thorough knowledge of fundraising and solicitation policies, procedures and methods.
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends.
To apply for this position, email a cover letter/letter of interest and resume (in MS Word or PDF format) along with salary range/expectations to: firstname.lastname@example.org
University of the Sciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disability/Veteran