I - Multiple choice. Circle the correct answer
for each question.
1. Parazoans that have an internal skeleton composed of spicules.
2. A radially symmetrical animal that has two
embryonic germ layers belongs to which phylum?
3. All of the following are protostomes EXCEPT
4. All of the following are characteristics of the phylum Cnidaria
a. a gastrovascular cavity
b. a polyp stage
c. a medusa stage
e. a pseudocoelom
5. Which class of the phylum Cnidaria occurs only as a polyp?
d. hydrozoa and anthozoa
e. hysrozoa, scyphozoa, and anthozoa
6. Which of the following are not found in sponges?
a. an osculum
b. a spongocoel
7 . Deuterostomes include
d. both a and c
8. In the phylum Platyhelminthes, which of the
following classes is mostly parasitic?
d. trematoda and cestoda
e. turbellaria, trematoda, and cestoda
9. You are given a bilaterally symmetrical
worm-like animal to identify. Upon
you find that an endoderm, mesoderm,
ectoderm, and true coelom are present.
animal can most likely be classified
10. All of the following are generally
characterisitic of animals EXCEPT
a. they ingest food
b. they stroe carbohydrates as glycogen
c. they lack cell walls
d. they reproduce sexually with the
the life cycle
11. The "tail end" of an animal is also known as
a. anterior end
b. dorsal end
c. posterior end
d. ventral end
12. Proboscis worms (Nemertea)
a. have a one-way digestive system
b. order carry-out pizza everynight
c. have blood vessels
d. both a and c
13. In plants, the multicellular embryo
develops within the:
14 . Which of the following is a vascular plant?
d. bracket fungus
15. Mosses and liverworts are limited to being relatively small
because they lack:
c. vascular tissue.
e. reproductive structures.
16. In moss, the _________ grows into the gametophyte plant.
17 . ________ are small leaves which have a single vascular
and are seen in club mosses.
18 . Most conifers have separate male and female reproductive
parts on the same tree, termed:
19 . The dominant generation in conifers is the:
20. A plant which has parallel veins and floral parts in threes would
be classified as
21 . Monocot leaves typically have ___________ venation.
a. palmately netted
b. netted venation
c. parallel venation
d. pinnately netted
e. all of these
22 . One main root is to many roots of the same size developing
from the end of the stem, as:
a. a fibrous root system is to a taproot
b. a lateral root is to a fibrous root
c. a taproot system is to a fibrous
d. an adventitious root is to a taproot
e. a storage root is to a taproot system
23 Cell walls of fungi are composed of:
24 . ________ hyphae are multinucleate and not divided by septa.
25 . The club fungi typically reproduce by producing:
26 . The ________ in the life cycle of Rhizopus is diploid.
c. asexual spores
27 . Asexual reproduction in sac fungi involves production of spores
Part II-Matching. Match the characteristic(s) listed
below to the appropriate Phylum. Some items
may be used more than once or not at all.
b. radially symmetrical
c. one opening to digestive tract, protostomate
e. jellyfishes, corals, anemones
f. ribbon worms
g .move by pseudopodia .
h . spongocoel
i . Giardia, Trichonympha
Part III-Short Answer.
1. Animals that are multicellular but do not possess a tissue level
organization are placed into the subkingdom?
2. Animals with a body that can be divided into right and left halves
have what type of symmetry?
3. The inner layer of sponges is lined with flagellated cells called?
4. Jellyfish have a flattend, free-swimming body type known as a?
5. Which division of plants, consisting of upright
stems and rhizomes, is considered the link
between the chlorophyta and other vascular
6. Plants which are dioecious are bisexual. True or
7. Which division of plants is seedless and has
leaves called megaphylls clustered
arounds nodes on the stems?
8. A tight cluster of sporophylls found in
clubmosses is known as a?
9. In the coniferophyta, several eggs are
fertilized and begin development. This
condition is known as?
10. The fungus which infects rye plants and causes
a disease known as St. Anthony's Fire is
(genus and species)?
1. List three major advances of the Platyhelminthes. (6 pts)
2 . List two major advances of the Nemertea? (6 pts)
3 . What problems did plants face in moving on to
land and how did they overcome these
problems (5 pts)?
4. What are two major differences between the
Bryophytes and Tracheophytes (4 pts)?
5 . Define these terms (4 pts):
6. List and describe the various
relationships (6 pts).