I - Multiple choice. Circle the correct answer
for each question.
1. Deuterostomes include
d. both a and c
2. Which of the following is a shared characteristic of all
d. vertebral column
e. four-chambered heart
3. What is one characteristic which separates
chordates from all other animals?
a. true coelom
b. hollow dorsal nerve cord
c. blastopore, which becomes the anus
d. bilateral symmetry
4. Some members have a cartilaginous endoskeleton.
5. Three major groups: egg-laying, pouched, and placental.
6. Includes salamanders, frogs and toads.
7. Includes snakes, turtles, and lizards.
8. Which one of the following has a two-chambered heart?
9. Which of the following structures are characteristic of
a. open circulatory system
b. pharyngeal slits
c. dorsal hollow nerve cord
d. pharyngeal slits and dorsal hollow
e. open circulatory system, pharyngeal slits,
and dorsal hollow
10. All of the following are protostomes EXCEPT
c. segmented worms
11. Which epithelial tissue varies in number of layers and shape?
a. simple squamous
b. simple cuboidal
c. pseudostratified columnar
d. stratified cuboidal
e. stratified columnar
12. What is stratified cuboidal epithelium composed of?
a. several layers of boxlike cells
b. a hierarchical arrangement of flat
c. a tight layer of square cells attached
d. an irregularly arranged layer of
e. a layer of ciliated, mucus-secreting
lining a body
13. White blood cells that mature into macrophages are called:
14. Stratified columnar is a description that might
apply to what type of animal tissue?
b. striated muscle
15 . The epithelium best adapted for a body
surface subject to abrasion is
a. simple squamous.
b. simple cuboidal.
c. simple columnar.
d. stratified columnar.
e. stratified squamous.
16. Muscles are joined to bones by
c. loose connective tissue.
d. Haversian systems.
e. positive feedback.
17 . The fibroblasts secrete
c. interstitial fluids.
d. calcium phosphate for bone.
e. proteins for connective fibers.
18 . Which type of muscle is responsible for
peristalsis along the digestive tract?
19 . Which of the following is a type of white
blood cell that releases heparin?
20. Cardiac muscle is which of the following?
a. striated and branched
b. striated and unbranched
c. smooth and voluntary
d. striated and voluntary
e. smooth and involuntary
21. Which of the following tissues lines kidney ducts?
b. smooth muscle
22. Which of the following apply to skeletal muscle?
a. smooth and involuntary
b. smooth and unbranched
c. striated and voluntary
d. smooth and voluntary
e. striated and branched
23. Cartilage is described as which of the
following types of tissues?
24. Which is a type of connective tissue fiber found in organs such
as the kidneys, that serve as
25 . Which of the following fibers has the greatest tensile strength?
a. elastin fibers
b. fibrin fibers
c. collagenous fibers
d. reticular fibers
e. spindle fibers
26. Which of the following statements about arthropods is true?
a. they are encased by an exoskeleton
b. they move by way of a unique water
c. they include crustaceons, spiders,
d. both a and c
27. Which of the following are found in BOTH
annelids and arthropods?
a. jointed appendages
c. one-way digestive tract
28. All of the following are characteristics of arthropods EXCEPT
a. an exoskeleton.
b. numerous species.
c. jointed appendages.
d. a diversity of gas exchange structures.
e. a dorsal nerve cord.
29. An arthropod has all the following characteristics EXCEPT
a. protostome development.
b. bilateral symmetry.
d. 3 embryonic germ layers.
e. true tissues.
30. Protostomes that have an open circulatory
system and an exoskeleton of chitin.
31. Protostomes that have a closed circulatory
system and true segmentation.
32. Protostomes that have an open circulatory
system and a trochophore larva.
33. Which Molluscan class includes animals that
undergo embryonic torsion?
e. all molluscan classes have this
34. Which Molluscan class includes clams?
c. cephalopoda clams are not mollusks
e. none of these
35. Which Molluscan class includes the most
e. both bivalvia and cephalopoda are
36. Annelids are abundant and successful
organisms characterized accurately
by all of
the following EXCEPT
a. a hydrostatic skeleton.
c. a complete digestive system.
d. some parasitic forms.
e. a cuticle made of chitin.
37. The four body parts of mollusks include all of
the following EXCEPT
a. a foot
b. a trochophore
c. a visceral mass
d. a mantle
38. Which of the following classes of the phylum
Annelida is NOT correctly matched with
a. Oligochaeta - earthworms
b. Polychaeta - marine worms
c. Hirudinea - leeches
d. all of the above are correctly
Part II- Short answer. Answer
each question in
the space provided.
1. The connective tissue which
stores fat is
2. True or False? An axon is a cytoplasmic
process which carries impulses to the nerve
cell body. False
3. The process of converting cartilage to bone is
4. Compact bones of mammals consists of units
called? haversion systems (osteons)
5. The type of epithelial tissue designed for
secretion and active absorption and
goblet cells may be found is? simple
6. The peritoneum is epithelial tissue derived
from which embryonic germ layer? mesoderm
7. Which epithelial tissue is found as the outer
layer of skin and lining the mouth,
vagina and is designed for tremendous
and tear? statified squamous
8. What is the type of nerve cell which provides
nutrients for neurons? neuroglia
9. Heart muscle is similar to smooth muscle in
that it is? involuntary
Part III- Essay. Answer each question in the
space provided. The value of each question is
indicated in parenthesis.
1. Describe fibrous connective
tissue as to its
structure and function and where it is
commonly found (3 pts).
dense, collagenous fibers,
2. If a sea star has pentaradial
are they placed into the Bilateria? (2 pts)
larvae are bilateral
3 . Describe the water vascular system of a sea
star. (5 pts)
madreporite, stone canal, ring canal,
radial canal, ampulla, sucker
4 . Define these terms as they apply to the
Echinodermata (4 pts):
pedicellaria- pincer-like spines for cleaning
test- solid shell
5 . The circulatory system of Cephalochordates has something in
common with vertebrates. Explain. (4 pts)
blood flows posterior in dorsal vessel
and anterior in ventral vessel
6 . Describe these terms as they apply to vertebrates (10 pts):
ammocoetes- larval lamprey
lateral line organ- detects vibrations
oviparous- egg laying
ray-finned fishes- ancestral to modern
placoderms- ancestral to chondrichthyes
and actinopterygii and sarcopterygii
7 . Define Chordate, and then explain why the
Molgula (tunicate) is considered a chordate if
it did not possess the major characteristics you just described. (4
notochord, dorsal hollow nerve cord, pharyngeal
gill slits, post anal tail.
Tunicate larvae has
8. In addition to wings and feathers, list and
describe 4 modifications of birds for flight (4
beek instead of teeth, lung with
air sacs, hollow bones, rigid bones
9. Describe which compounds (ammonia, uric acid,
urea) are excreted by fishes, amphibians,
reptiles, birds and mammals and the reasoning
behind the differences found. (4 pts)
fish -ammonia, since lots of water
amphibians and mammals
- urea, less toxic
reptiles and birds-
uric acid, least toxic.aids filght for birds, desert for reptiles,
and shelled eggs for both
10. Describe the major characteristics and give a
specific example of each of these groups (4
monotremes-oviparous, spiny anteater
marsupials- viviparous, pouched,
11. Define these terms (6 pts):
metamerism- segmented, but units
typhlosole- fold in intestine of
protonephridia- first kidney, blind
tubule, flame cell
12. List four advantages of
possessing a coelom. (4 pts)
space for organs,
hydrostatic skeleton, nourish cells, separate GI tract