The University participates the National Survey of
Student Engagement (NSSE, or “Nessie”), which will involve
475 colleges and universities and 500,000 students. The purpose
of NSSE is to study the quality of your academic experiences at
University of the Sciences, in five areas:
- The level of academic challenge
- The amount of active and collaborative learning
- Student-faculty interaction
- The types and amount of enriching academic experiences that
- How supportive the campus environment is
The survey is mailed in mid-February, and students
have the option of completing the paper survey or completing it
online. NSSE is administered to 1st and 4th year students throughout
the country, and we will be surveying 50% of our PharmD students
and all of our other majors. The survey takes about 10 minutes to
Why should University of the Sciences students participate in the survey?
- The survey will allow us to understand your perceptions
about your academic experiences at University of the Sciences, and compare your perceptions
and experiences to students from all over the country. With this
information we can make changes to improve the quality of your education.
- The results of the last major survey done on University of the Sciences students,
the Student Satisfaction Survey three years ago, was instrumental
in making some significant improvements in student life, including
the elimination of 7:30 a.m. exams and the building of the Athletic
Recreation Center. The NSSE is also likely to have a major impact
on our academic planning and experiences.
- We’re giving away prizes. All students who participate
will be eligible to win one of ten $25 gift certificates to the
University of the Sciences bookstore, and one $100 gift certificate to the bookstore.
We hope you will take a little time to participate in the survey,
maybe win a prize, and definitely help improve the quality of your
If you have any questions, contact Peter Miller, Chair of the Assessment
Steering Committee, at 215,596,8542 or email@example.com.