Pre Med Classes & Requirements
A program of individualized counseling helps students prepare for admission to medical sciences professional schools. The pre-professional advisor counsels students so that courses required for admission are taken; assists students in the selection of courses to meet their personal interests, abilities, and career objectives; and helps with the various application procedures for the professional school of choice.
he basic requirements/recommended courses for admission to medical school include:
- General biology – 2 semesters with laboratory
- General chemistry – 2 semesters with laboratory
- Organic chemistry – 2 semesters with laboratory
- Biochemistry – 1 semester
- General physics – 2 semesters with laboratory
- Mathematics – 2 semesters
- Behavioral and social sciences – 2 semesters
- Writing/English – 2 semesters
These courses are generally taken within the first three years. Pre-med students then have the flexibility to select coursework in their remaining years that meets their individual goals.
In addition, medical professional schools seek individuals with outstanding communication skills, fundamental understanding of social dynamics, and an overall well-rounded education. The general education curriculum at USciences ensures that you obtain the necessary skills in these areas to stand apart from the crowd.
The remainder of your preparation for entrance to a medical professional school you fulfill through the criteria of the major you choose. Whatever your choice, you will have access to an exceptionally strong array of science courses strongly recommended by medical, dental, and veterinary schools.
- You may choose from strong preparatory health science courses in microbiology, anatomy, physiology, biochemistry, genetics, molecular biology, cell biology, and other advanced coursework.
- You may choose to supplement your background with exceptional clinical courses, such as hematology, clinical microbiology, parasitology, neurobiology, and immunology.
- As early as your freshman year, you may pursue investigative research under the guidance of faculty members.
For detailed course descriptions and other information about the curriculum for each major, see the University catalog.