Pre Med Classes & Requirements
Your first two years will include coursework required by medical professional schools and also will give you a strong foundation for your USciences BS degree program. This includes two semesters each of:
- General biology, supported with laboratory work
- General chemistry, supported with laboratory work
- Organic chemistry, supported with laboratory work
- General physics, supported with laboratory work
- General mathematics (typically through calculus)
In addition, medical professional schools seek individuals with outstanding communication skills, fundamental understanding of social dynamics, and an overall well-rounded education. The general education curriculum at USciences ensures that you obtain the necessary skills in these areas to stand apart from the crowd.
The remainder of your preparation for entrance to a medical professional school you fulfill through the criteria of the major you choose. Whatever your choice, you will have access to an exceptionally strong array of science courses strongly recommended by medical, dental, and veterinary schools.
- You may choose from strong preparatory health science courses in microbiology, anatomy, physiology, biochemistry, genetics, molecular biology, cell biology, and other advanced coursework.
- You may choose to supplement your background with exceptional clinical courses, such as hematology, clinical microbiology, parasitology, neurobiology, and immunology.
- As early as your freshman year, you may pursue investigative research under the guidance of faculty members.
For detailed course descriptions and other information about the curriculum for each major, see the University catalog.