As a medical laboratory scientist, you will perform laboratory tests using sophisticated instrumentation to help diagnose diseases and monitor treatments. University of the Sciences’ BS program in medical laboratory science is one of the few hospital based programs in the region directed by a certified medical laboratory scientist, and focused on the science behind the medicine. Completing the program will help you understand and appreciate the responsibilities of medical laboratory scientists and fully prepare you to enter the profession as soon as you graduate.
Medical Detective Work
Medical laboratory scientists, also known as a medical
technologists or clinical laboratory scientists, are like medical detectives, searching for clues to a patient’s diagnosis, often working against the clock to assist in saving the lives of patients. You’ll work in a clinical laboratory setting with state-of-the-art instrumentation and technology alongside other members of a health care team in establishing and monitoring new patient testing and ensuring quality patient care.
Examples of such work include:
- Blood transfusion and tissue transplantation
- In-vitro fertilization
- Criminal investigation duties, such as DNA analysis
Why University of the Sciences Should Be Your First Choice
- Unlike many health-sciences programs, the medical laboratory science program requires only four years of study, leaving you fully prepared to enter the profession as soon as you graduate.
- Our faculty includes a certified medical laboratory scientist and member of the University’s biology faculty as the program director.
- Our learning opportunities combine in-depth theory with hands-on experience.
- A wide variety of clinical sites, some nearby, and others at a distance is available for students to gain hands-on experience.
- Medical laboratory science is an outstanding choice for pre-medical studies.
- Participation in faculty-directed research is available to our students.
- We offer you the option to obtain a five-year dual degree in medical laboratory science and biology, microbiology or humanities and sciences.
- A new option is to combine medical laboratory science with forensic science. You can finish both in four years.